Premed 101 Forums

Important To All Students!!

Hey Everyone,

I will post these two summary paragraphs and then add two cents at the end:

"We stand in Solidarity with fellow students, staff and faculty at College of the North Atlantic campuses across Newfoundland and Labrador. Please read the statement below from Angie Colburne of CNASU about a demonstration on Wednesday April 10th:

As many of you are aware, your CNA Student’s Union has been collaborating ideas on how we can push back and work towards reversing the ABE program cuts the government has made.

We want you to know we have plans in place to take action on your behalf.

CNASU is demanding funding be returned to its rightful programs for both ABE and additional program cuts. Our protests will continue until government reverses the cuts.

We would like to advise you at this time, CNASU will be supporting a demonstration/walk out Wednesday, April 10th, 2013 at 12pm throughout almost all campuses of CNA and I am encouraging each and every one of you to unite and take a stand for your right to an affordable, quality education.

Even if you are not in one of the programs that has been affected at this time, I sincerely hope that you will support your fellow students in their fight back. The budget cuts may not be affecting you at this current time, but who knows what tomorrow brings, not only for the College but for us as individuals as well." - GCSU (Grenfell Campus MUN Student Union)

The union also met last night to discuss motions, this was their preamble:

"The Newfoundland and Labrador provincial budget resulted in cuts of approximately 16 million to the College of the North Atlantic despite that an investment in PSE has among the highest return on the dollar that could ever be hoped for, is an essential piece of the youth attraction and retention policy and has immeasurable social benefits. Adult Basic Education will be cancelled as of mid summer and sold to the lowest private sector bidder. There are currently 847 students enrolled in the ABE program. While not all will be affected directly, many will be left to find a way to pay increased costs of tuition at a private institute and may have to move away from their homes and families in order to complete this stage of their education. Cuts to the College do not stop there. “Low enrollment” programs are being cut all across the province, with many in Stephenville and several programs in Corner Brook which have 2 and 2 agreements with Grenfell. We estimate over 1000 students across the province may be effected. Students are told they will finish their programs, but are burdened with the stress of continued quality concerns, loss of instructors, and deteriorating job opportunities as a result of cuts.

Students are stronger when we are united. Newfoundland and Labrador is proof of this- with all public post-secondary students being members of the Canadian Federation of Students our joint lobbying efforts have made this province the most accessible post secondary education system in Canada. While students at Grenfell, MUN St John’s and the Marine Institute have been sheltered this year, a review is underway and we will be on the chopping block next year. We cannot allow ourselves to be divided. We must rally together and show Government that students will not roll over and allow our public education system to be attacked without fighting back. "

Since Memorial's budget is up for discussion next year, and MUN is a heavily funded academic institution it is likely that services will decrease and tuition increase if the same cuts are made to Memorial's budget next year.

All of you will/are try to/are going to school in NL right now! It is important that we get as much support to oppose this budget as possible and keep our valued education safe!

When's the next election? Dunderdale is the worst premier the province has had in decades.

Not to sure on that one. I'll have a look into it.

Well - I do think I remember her saying that she wanted to get free education for everyone.... and then she does this....

Realistically it is not 'her' that is doing it, but rather the entire political council. It is important for all of us to know about this and do something about it!

Decisions to cut funding in education always baffle me. It is the best investment a government can make. As we move into an age where resources become more scarce, human capital will be the main driver of long term economic growth. People who oppose universal education are more concerned with limiting access to the upper echelons of society than anything else.

Not to sure on that one. I'll have a look into it.

Well - I do think I remember her saying that she wanted to get free education for everyone.... and then she does this....

Realistically it is not 'her' that is doing it, but rather the entire political council. It is important for all of us to know about this and do something about it!

yeah i remember at the day of action she said she looked forward to the day that everyone had their undergraduate degree paid for

Decisions to cut funding in education always baffle me. It is the best investment a government can make. As we move into an age where resources become more scarce, human capital will be the main driver of long term economic growth. People who oppose universal education are more concerned with limiting access to the upper echelons of society than anything else.

There was a quote:

For every dollar invested into "College of the North Atlantic", the school who just recieved their budget cuts, just over 11 dollar return.... That's pehnomenal

I know Alberta is going through something similar this year (U Calgary in particular). Does anyone know if there is any legislation against tuition hikes above a certain percent per year in NL? Some provinces only allow say a 2% hike per year.

Also, I'm wondering if this would ultimately affect the number of seats in MUNMed for future years. Calgary is cutting 8 seats (not specified if OOP or IP) for their Class of 2018.

When was the last tuition increase at MUN?

Archived