Premed 101 Forums

Q&A With Mac Med 2015

Someone asked about the number of seats for OOP applicants after my interview and didn't get an answer. I'm curious if anyone can provide that number of percentage. The associate dean (I think that was his title) said there is a set number, he just didn't know it offhand.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
from the mac site:

"Ninety percent of interview positions will be given to those who qualify as 1) Province of Ontario resident, and 10% to those who qualify as 2) outside Ontario"

Yep, this info is easy to find, but doesn't answer the question. I'm curious if there is a maximum number of seats for OOP students. So basically are the OOP interviewees competing against each other for say 20 seats.

Sorry, should have been more clear about what I meant by "clinical practice" - was more referring to in-hospital projects like quality improvement, clinical research, or implementation of patient services (I have some experience in varying degrees with all three). However, that there are longer-term electives is also good to know, as I would certainly prefer these over shorter-term arrangements.

Thank you (and aryastark) for the helpful information!

Ah!

Again, I'm not sure of k/w or Hamilton but I know NRC does QI projects for sure! Last year we had 7 in-hospital QI (i think) in a range of topics from Venous Thromboembolism to Sepsis. This year, we are also doing QI in Medical Education at NRC. Again, lots of opportunities if you look for them!

Clinical research is probably the best at Hamilton, but the beauty of some of this research is that you may not need to be in Hamilton. There are a few people in my year at NRC that are involved in projects out of Hamilton.

Hope that helps!

Ah!

Again, I'm not sure of k/w or Hamilton but I know NRC does QI projects for sure! Last year we had 7 in-hospital QI (i think) in a range of topics from Venous Thromboembolism to Sepsis. This year, we are also doing QI in Medical Education at NRC. Again, lots of opportunities if you look for them!

Clinical research is probably the best at Hamilton, but the beauty of some of this research is that you may not need to be in Hamilton. There are a few people in my year at NRC that are involved in projects out of Hamilton.

Hope that helps!

Very helpful, thank you, and very encouraging!

I just like knowing that there are opportunities to forge some longer-term connections. Medicine (in general, not McMaster in particular) seems to involve a lot of jumping around to get solid breadth of training; I like having the ability to get some additional depth as well, especially in the pre-clinical year :D

Not sure of the common hospitals that med students have to go to but here are the directions from McMaster to Hamilton General, Juravinski and Chedoke. There used to be a shuttle that ran between them but it's not going to starting in May :(

Bus route from McMaster --> Hamilton General (36 minutes) :

McMaster University

1280 Main St W

Hamilton, ON L8S 4L8, Canada

McMASTER MEDICAL CENTRE TERMINAL Stop ID: 1206

Bus towards EastBound to EASTGATE TERMINAL NORTH PLATFORM

3:59pm - 4:15pm (16 mins, 5 stops)

MAIN at JOHN Stop ID: 2702

Walk to JOHN at JACKSON

About 2 mins (9 mins to make transfer)

JOHN at JACKSON Stop ID: 1265

Bus towards Eastbound to BELLMANOR LOOP

4:24pm - 4:32pm (9 mins, 8 stops)

BARTON at WELLINGTON Stop ID: 1233

Walk to Hamilton General Hospital

About 1 min (95 m)

Hamilton General Hospital

237 Barton St E

Hamilton, ON L8L 2X2, Canada

Bus route from McMaster to Juravinski Hospital (33 minutes):

McMaster University

1280 Main St W

3:59pm - 4:13pm (14 mins, 4 stops)

MAIN at MACNAB Stop ID: 2920

Walk to MacNab Terminal Platform 2

About 1 min (9 mins to make transfer)

MacNab Terminal Platform 2 Stop ID: 2023

Bus towards Southbound to RYMAL opp SULMONA

4:22pm - 4:36pm (14 mins, 16 stops)

CONCESSION at UPPER SHERMAN

CONCESSION at JURAVINSKI HOSPITAL

Canada

Bus Route from McMaster to Chedoke (52 minutes):

Transit directions to Holbrook Building

McMaster University

1280 Main St W

3:59pm - 4:13pm (14 mins, 4 stops)

MAIN at MACNAB Stop ID: 2920

Walk to MacNab Terminal Platform 7

About 1 min (9 mins to make transfer)

MacNab Terminal Platform 7 Stop ID: 2840

Bus towards Southbound to SCENIC LOOP

4:22pm - 4:45pm (24 mins, 29 stops)

SANATORIUM opposite EVEL PAVILION Stop ID: 2344

Walk to Holbrook Building

About 5 mins (400 m)

Holbrook Building

Sanatoruim Road

Holbrook Building, Hamilton, ON L8N 3Z5, Canada

Those are awful commute times, probably extend to twice as long during non-peak hours. How often do we have to go to the hospitals during pre-clerkship? Clerkship? Is it a hassle?

Can we lobby the med admin to set up a shuttle for med students? Are they responsive to this sort of thing?

Those are awful commute times, probably extend to twice as long during non-peak hours. How often do we have to go to the hospitals during pre-clerkship? Clerkship? Is it a hassle?

Can we lobby the med admin to set up a shuttle for med students? Are they responsive to this sort of thing?

Tutorials and Clinical Skills are routinely held at the hospitals (St. Joseph's, Hamilton General, Juravinski, MUMC) - but can also be at the Hamilton campus as well. During pre-clerkship, you can get around using public transportation, but more often than not people just carpool to tutorial/clin skills together. Someone in your group is likely to have a car and you can all just split gas, usually.

That being said, many people start off without a car and end up realizing it's probably best to purchase one - even if its something to get you from Point A to Point B.

Cars are usually standard for clerkship, as far as I know.

My question is a little different - is it normal to feel not so great after the interview? There was so much anticipation and build-up to April, and now that it is over I'm finding it hard not to analyze what I said during the scenarios (and what I WISH I said). I'm curious what accepted applicants initially thought about their MMI experience.

Thank you!

Does anyone who got in have one MMI station that consumes them with cringe when they think about it? My station with the least important topic (for example, no ethical issue or other people to consider) was just... odd. haha. When I think about my answer I cringe rather hard.

I tried to think outside of the box and now I'm wondering why I couldn't just answer it like a normal person!

Does anyone who got in have one MMI station that consumes them with cringe when they think about it? My station with the least important topic (for example, no ethical issue or other people to consider) was just... odd. haha. When I think about my answer I cringe rather hard.

I tried to think outside of the box and now I'm wondering why I couldn't just answer it like a normal person!

It's been two years and I still cringe a little about some of them. Esp. Calgary.

What sorts of research opportunities exist at Mac Med? When do students typically get involved in research? Is there any funding that exists for research endeavours?

Thanks in advance :)

Hey! I'm graduating from Mac Med this year, so I can try to shed some light!

Research - definitely lots of opportunities! I got involved in the beginning of second year when I had a bit of an idea of what specialty I wanted. Also, the department was great funding wise for conferences.

Car - In clerkship, it was pretty key for me - but, there are people who went all of med school without a car and got around everywhere on bike

Mac is great! The docs at Mac are also super nice and friendly, which is nice when you are a medical student trying to learn (especially in clerkship!)!

Congrats on interviewing at Mac guys!

My question is a little different - is it normal to feel not so great after the interview? There was so much anticipation and build-up to April, and now that it is over I'm finding it hard not to analyze what I said during the scenarios (and what I WISH I said). I'm curious what accepted applicants initially thought about their MMI experience.

Thank you!

This is a great question! I felt like everyone seemed to think they did awesome after the MMI except me. I had no idea how i did on most stations. I just keep reminding myself of what the Dean of NOSM told me which is that someone did a survey where they asked applicants coming out of MMI stations, "how did you think you did on that scenario?" and they found that people are very bad at assessing their performance.

In a way that's very reassuring because it means there's really no point to the endless post-mortem. Not that it means I could stop thinking about it.

Ok MacMeds! Just want to know, do you guys feel like because you're so often in sub-groups and only in lecture twice a week that you don't have as tight-knit a class? What are your thoughts on the community among med students at Mac? Also, do you interact much with the students who are already on clerkship? How much cross over is there?

Thanks for making yourselves available- it is invaluable! Also just wanted to say I really enjoyed your presentation this past weekend. Looking forward to learning all the amazing things about poop someday on a GI rotation. haha.

This is a great question! I felt like everyone seemed to think they did awesome after the MMI except me. I had no idea how i did on most stations. I just keep reminding myself of what the Dean of NOSM told me which is that someone did a survey where they asked applicants coming out of MMI stations, "how did you think you did on that scenario?" and they found that people are very bad at assessing their performance.

In a way that's very reassuring because it means there's really no point to the endless post-mortem. Not that it means I could stop thinking about it.

Thank you! This does help alleviate some of the stress. It's good to know that an interviewee's impression of the interview is not always accurate. Now for the hardest part - waiting for five weeks!

I felt pretty doubtful after my interview and I got in at Mac. I think it's really hard to tell. I did 4 MMIs and I got 1 acceptance (Mac), 1 WL and 2 rejections, and I really feel they all went about the same.

Thanks! This is also very helpful. Just goes to show you only need one acceptance!

Ok MacMeds! Just want to know, do you guys feel like because you're so often in sub-groups and only in lecture twice a week that you don't have as tight-knit a class? What are your thoughts on the community among med students at Mac? Also, do you interact much with the students who are already on clerkship? How much cross over is there?

Thanks for making yourselves available- it is invaluable! Also just wanted to say I really enjoyed your presentation this past weekend. Looking forward to learning all the amazing things about poop someday on a GI rotation. haha.

Great question! I actually feel like we have a very tight knit class. You get to know a lot of people during O week, the trip to camp muskoka, and there are a lot of social events the first few months. The groups also allow you to get to know a lot of different people, because you have a separate group for professional competencies, and then a different group for each medical foundation, so there isn't much overlap between groups (usually). The regional campus students are actually in Hamilton the first 3 months so we get to know them as well. In addition, there is also more cohesiveness due to the lack of a grading system, and not having to compete with one another. Hope that answers your question :)

Thank you!

I felt great immediately after it because the MMI itself was a lot of fun. However, I definitely started overanalyzing every single thing I said about a day afterwards, and thought I bombed it. So the key is, try not to worry about it, even though we all have the tendency to do that anyway!

Archived