Premed 101 Forums

US schools based more on GPA + MCAT

Hello, I am new to the site and I am looking for help in identifying schools that are more heavily based on GPA and MCAT, rather than on EC activities. I am very strong academically, although I have not taken the MCAT yet, but I know for sure that ECs are not my strength. I am just this type of a person, not that I am not rounded enough, I am busy with 2 little kids and other not that interesing actitivities on the side. I am active, but was never in any school team sports. I have always overachieved academically, but never had enough time to volunteer. I finished my HS in Europe and my undergrad in Canada. Please, advise. I can not come to a shortlist yet, just started looking at US schools. Thank you all for your help.

WashU and Vanderbilt are two that come to mind, but you will need a killer MCAT (37+). Also American schools want to see at least some clinical experience: How do you know you want to be a physician if you've never experienced interacting with patients firsthand?

Hello esus, thank you for your reply. Actually, I do have 3 years of experience providing acute care nursing services to patients in big teaching hospitals in Canada. But I am not a professional athlete or someone who was in the war or volunteered in Africa. I do not know yet what my scores at the MCAT will be, although I am generally an above average test-taker. I personally know students admitted to Canadian medical schools, who were not very strong in sciences, but had impressive athletic and community activities, as well as good interviewing skills. At NOSM you do not even need prerequisites. That is the type of schools that I am trying to avoid in the States - the ones that are looking to admit professional dancers rather than microbiologists for example. Thank you and all the best.

WashU and Vanderbilt are two that come to mind, but you will need a killer MCAT (37+). Also American schools want to see at least some clinical experience: How do you know you want to be a physician if you've never experienced interacting with patients firsthand?

I second this.. We are disadvantaged, as Canadians, because of this.

Maybe I should try MD/PhD. I already have kids (it is twins!), so other than my mind I have nothing else to lose :confused::eek: a nerd in a science lab sounds just the right fit. After living in 3 different contries for the last 10 yrs and getting lost in motherhood I would finally find the One direction; another route to consider would be just PhD in a close discipline. But honestly, I am so fascinated by pathology, that I might just go to Europe and forget about the 100 or 200K pay difference per year. After all, I want to enjoy what I am doing more than anything else and money can't pay off a miserable existence away from my calling.

On the idealistic side, I think schools should take into consideration that some disciplines would not favour much from your background as a highschool cheerleader. In fact, ppl who overachieved in other fields - math, chemsitry, finance etc. have quite simple resumes.But, sigh....Aaw, I wish the guy who has the brains to discover the cure for disease X was a gifted pianist at 15 or an Olympian...

• 2 weeks later...
Really? I'm not sure how abnormal this is, but my hospital volunteering position is basically described as patient interaction.

At my med school, they had this summer scholar thing where premeds came in to the hospital and shadowed for 4 weeks in anesthesia, gen surg, IM, cardiology, ER, GI etc. Not only that, they got PAID to do it. I've never heard of anything like this in Canada.

Archived