Premed 101 Forums

Ask questions to current 1T6's

Question: Is $180 a good price for a stethoscope? Which stethoscopes models are the best price/quality-wise and when do you start using them - right off the bat or later in the school year?

How about the dissecting kits - how much should I expect to pay for one of those and what 'tools' should they have (just the basic stuff or are there some fancy tools you recommend)?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Question: Is $180 a good price for a stethoscope? Which stethoscopes models are the best price/quality-wise and when do you start using them - right off the bat or later in the school year?

How about the dissecting kits - how much should I expect to pay for one of those and what 'tools' should they have (just the basic stuff or are there some fancy tools you recommend)?

I would get the package they offer during O-week, its generally cheaper to buy the Stethoscope and all the stuff (lab coat, dissection kit etc...) with it.

I believe my whole O-week package came out to $300 including all the equipment and events (180 of which was for the steth). We started using our steth in early Nov (so not right off the bat).

I actually don't remember what a dissecting kit costs, but it generally includes a scalpel, two different pairs of scissors (on larger and one smaller), a couple different tweezers and a few other things I must be forgetting. The basic kit was more than enough for dissections (i.e. you don't need special fancy tools)

Who is this ACHQ character? =P (I'm trying to guess ahah)

As for my 2 cents - I'm pretty sure everybody who didn't already have a dissection kit bought one in the OWeek package or else they should have, its cheap and fits into the drop in a bucket phenomenon.

Also I think the vast majority of people bought a stethoscope in the package (unless they had a good one from family/friends). It's important, so get a new one imho. Most people get the standard (boring black) one.

Who is this ACHQ character? =P (I'm trying to guess ahah)

As for my 2 cents - I'm pretty sure everybody who didn't already have a dissection kit bought one in the OWeek package or else they should have, its cheap and fits into the drop in a bucket phenomenon.

Also I think the vast majority of people bought a stethoscope in the package (unless they had a good one from family/friends). It's important, so get a new one imho. Most people get the standard (boring black) one.

I met him at my interview..I figured out who he was on PM after.

I would get the package they offer during O-week, its generally cheaper to buy the Stethoscope and all the stuff (lab coat, dissection kit etc...) with it.

I believe my whole O-week package came out to $300 including all the equipment and events (180 of which was for the steth). We started using our steth in early Nov (so not right off the bat).

I actually don't remember what a dissecting kit costs, but it generally includes a scalpel, two different pairs of scissors (on larger and one smaller), a couple different tweezers and a few other things I must be forgetting. The basic kit was more than enough for dissections (i.e. you don't need special fancy tools)

Thanks for your input; my package ended up in the 400-something range. A bit expensive I find, but at least, I'll have everything and won't end up running around to get stuff :P

Here are the schedules for the school year by blocks:

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/1_ume/Preclerkship/STF2012Schedule.pdf

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/1_ume/Preclerkship/MNU2012-13Schedule.pdf

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/1_ume/Preclerkship/BRB2013Schedule.pdf

Remember the only things that are Anatomy labs, PBL tutorials, ethics seminars, DOCH field visits/tutorials, and of course ASCM

Lol it's literally different week by week!

Lol it's literally different week by week!

ahhahah yeah which is why I couldn't answer it without posting the actual schedule.

Two things don't change though. In first year ASCM is Friday morning, and DOCH Wednesday Afternoon.

Archived