Premed 101 Forums

Next year

Hey guys,

I'm starting to freak myself out a little here. I applied to a few programs as back up plans in case I didn't get into med this year. However, I got wait listed for most of them. Since I was wait listed for my backups I'm paranoid that there is no way I'm getting accepted into med.

I know it's late in the year, but does anyone know of programs that are still taking applications, or any ideas of something else I could do next year just in case?

Hey guys,

I'm starting to freak myself out a little here. I applied to a few programs as back up plans in case I didn't get into med this year. However, I got wait listed for most of them. Since I was wait listed for my backups I'm paranoid that there is no way I'm getting accepted into med.

I know it's late in the year, but does anyone know of programs that are still taking applications, or any ideas of something else I could do next year just in case?

Have you looked at the Master's of Health Promotion program at Dalhousie? I'm just finishing this program now and I only sent my application in May when I applied (in 2011). If your application is competitive it's my understanding that they will still consider your application even if the deadline has passed. If you have any questions about the program feel free to message me! :)

heyo

it's good to take a realistic view of things. making a "contingency plan" is a good move. but for the sake of your nerves, remember that you haven't gotten the decisions from the med schools yet. you don't know what'll happen. also, while there probably is a correlation between acceptance to programs, r^2 is not going to be 1.00. so again see what happens! basically, i'm saying hang in derrrr. i realize this contributes nothing to your planning, and for that i apologize.

Some grad programs still accept applications now, you just aren't eligible for financial aid usually, and get spots if they have any left. I believe Master in Public Health at Lakehead is taking applications still (I just declined mine).

Have you considered a job? Labs often times take on B. Sc. graduates who applied to med school and didn't get in. There might also be something out there in the real world that's related to whatever your undergrad. degree is.

It'll be draining financially if you have to move provinces to do a program for the sake of filling a year. Working can be one of the most refreshing things ever!

Also, you might just be feeling the pressure because letters are on the horizon. Everyone's feeling this way, so you're not alone. Everything will sort itself out soon, so you can wait to obsess over these things.

That looks like an interesting program. Any idea what counts as health-related classes? It says applicants need 24 health related credits. Would things like pharmacology, upper year human genetics, child psychology ect... Count or are they specifically looking for health and health promotion classes? Is it possible to finish this program in a year? It seems to say that the thesis takes longer.

My impression is that they're pretty flexible with health-related classes (I only had health psychology and a couple of only slightly related bio classes). It always helps if you have a supervisor lined up..there are great profs in that department so I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem!

Unfortunately it's a 2 year program (I don't think it would be possible to complete it in a year). If you're looking for a 1 year Master's I've heard of a few programs in Ontario and there are lots across the pond!

Have you considered any of the diploma programs at memorial ? They are only one year long - and can easily be rolled into a masters if need be. These re graduate diplomas offered through the faculty of med. lots of people go didnt get into medical school their first time around do these like clinical epidemiology.

Unfortunately for now all my eggs are in the Med basket.

I didn't want to plan for failure, eventhough it is totally possible.

Maybe I'll do some business courses and understand how to run a practice better/ how to be smatter about investing my money.

... dilemmas.... dilemmas

Archived