Premed 101 Forums

Making yourself competitive for +1 EM

Hi everyone,

I am starting a FM residency in July and intend to apply for +1 EM training. My program provides several blocks of electives. I would like to make my application as strong as possible for emergency training.

Any thoughts and suggestions for the optimal mix of electives and potential research to undertake? Any professional organizations or supplemental courses that would be of help?

Thanks.

Others can answer this question better than me...

But off hand here is some good stuff to look into:

ACLS, ATLS, PALS, EDE

I would then go do lots of dedicated EM electives

Become a member of CAEP. You could also take a look at ACEP.

Probably couldn't hurt to connect with a staff and do some research/academic EM related stuff if you have the time.

Others can answer this question better than me...

But off hand here is some good stuff to look into:

ACLS, ATLS, PALS, EDE

I would then go do lots of dedicated EM electives

Become a member of CAEP. You could also take a look at ACEP.

Probably couldn't hurt to connect with a staff and do some research/academic EM related stuff if you have the time.

Would you recommend doing those courses during PGY1, or spread throughout/PGY2?

Thanks for the smart-ass response, buddy. Many of the +1 programs offer these courses within their curriculum (e.g. EDE), so I don't think my question was inane.

I listed EDE there because it would show legit interest in EM. If you get an academic stipend during PGY1-FM then maybe toss it in?

Most if not all EM programs will make available all the stuff I listed. But I would assume you would be ahead of the curve of many applicants if you have it already.

I can only speak for my post-graduate institution, but many FM residents don't have ACLS certification for example. Getting this out if the way in PGY1 would let you sign up for the ACLS instructor course in PGY2 and then you could make "cash-money" teaching as a FM-EM in PGY3. That's a nice extra bonus.

As a corollary, is there much value in doing ATLS as an IM resident interested in Critical Care? All grads from my school do ACLS (and it's required for all programs at my institution). I'm doing an ultrasound course in May and another offered through my program in July. .

As a corollary, is there much value in doing ATLS as an IM resident interested in Critical Care? All grads from my school do ACLS (and it's required for all programs at my institution). I'm doing an ultrasound course in May and another offered through my program in July. .

I would think not. You will not be responding to acute trauma codes. Save your cash.

Just read around ATLS/trauma management. If you need background knowledge.

Archived