Premed 101 Forums

Question about Queens

mano

Just a few confusions about Queens University. After I finish my undergrad studies and I apply to Queens, for my GPA calculations I know they calculate my CGPA(overall) and 2YGPA(most recent 2 years). Does this is theory mean if I had done 3 years of Science (bio and chem) classes to finish my degree and finish with a 3.5GPA, then for the next two years do 3 "GPA boosterish" classes per semester (which they consider full year) and end up with a perfect 4 that they will consider my GPA in their calculation as a 4? If this is true can anyone supply me with any resources about other Canadian Schools that have similar GPA weighing mechanisms as my GPA is my weak point and I want to find specific programs that cater to my deficient GPA =(.

Queen's is a horrible school to bet all your eggs on. over 3000 applications, 400+ interviews, and only 100 spots. Plus nobody knows how they really pick their interviews. They're the only ones using 3 courses/semester so those years wouldn't even count as full time for other school.

What are some other school options that put much more emphasis on later years GPAs than early years. My first year was a screw up put I really picked it up my second year and I am currently just finishing third year. I have decent ECs and writing my MCAT this year

Queen's is a horrible school to bet all your eggs on. over 3000 applications, 400+ interviews, and only 100 spots. Plus nobody knows how they really pick their interviews. They're the only ones using 3 courses/semester so those years wouldn't even count as full time for other school.

Approaching 4000 applications this year.

http://meds.queensu.ca/blog/undergraduate/?p=363

What's your VR score? Western is probably your best shot.

If you maintained 5/5 all year every year, does UT's dropping help?

Ottawa will most likely not work for you, but if you take several years, I believe they eventually discount your first year. I'm not 100% sure about this (can any 5th year Ottawa applicants confirm?)

Do not bank on Queens. Ratio is terrible

What's your VR score? Western is probably your best shot.

If you maintained 5/5 all year every year, does UT's dropping help?

Ottawa will most likely not work for you, but if you take several years, I believe they eventually discount your first year. I'm not 100% sure about this (can any 5th year Ottawa applicants confirm?)

Do not bank on Queens. Ratio is terrible

If you apply during 5th year, the weighting formula would be:

4th year GPA x 3

3rd year GPA x 2

2nd year GPA x 1

PS. I like the new picture

If you apply during 5th year, the weighting formula would be:

4th year GPA x 3

3rd year GPA x 2

2nd year GPA x 1

Ah excellent. That's what I thought they did. I love how you get to drop out an entire year AND get higher weight on later years. It really pays off for applicants willing to do an extra year.

PS. I like the new picture

LOL thanks :D

I love the Last Airbender. Huge fan of the anime- hater of the movie haha

LOL thanks :D

I love the Last Airbender. Huge fan of the anime- hater of the movie haha

Yeah, the movie sucked (but if they made another, I'd go see it anyway)

As an aside, I'm very excited for new episodes of Legend of Korra this summer :)

Yeah, the movie sucked (but if they made another, I'd go see it anyway)

As an aside, I'm very excited for new episodes of Legend of Korra this summer :)

My body is ready.

I never actually watched the Korra season at all. I'm going to save it for early May to pass the time. :D

Archived