Premed 101 Forums

Should I even bother thinking about US MD?

To those with insights to answer my questions,

First of all, thank you for sharing your knowledge. Your help is much appreciated. I am currently debating on whether to apply to MD programs in the States. Although people around me urge me to give a try regardless of the circumstances, I believe the lack of insider information is giving them false hopes.

Anyway, here is my situation:

I enrolled in UToronto in 2003 and was ultimately kicked out by the Faculty of Engineering by 2006 for unsatisfactory academic standing (overall GPA = 1.46). I got back to university after taking a few courses as a special student and finished a degree in B.Sc Psychology (Hon.) with minor in Statistics. My degree GPA was 3.96. Combining all my courses, I ended up with a cGPA of 2.96, which is abysmal for applying to MD program. I have not written the MCAT yet (will sit in one in mid August). I have a lot of volunteer/extracurricular activity, as well as a Master's degree in Neuroscience from McGill University. My Master's project entails a multidisciplinary study that integrated subject observations similar to that of a clinical setting and mathematical technique from biomedical engineering. I was responsible for my subjects' physical and psychological well-being under the guidance of a physician on call. I could get 3 stellar LORs (from 3 professors, 2 of them are MD).

Here is my question:

Assuming I could have an amazing MCAT score, do I have a chance of getting into a MD program in the States? Is there a way to ask for forgiveness on my performance at UofT given my growth and motivation (e.g. letter of intend and personal call to the admission offices)? what are the other options I should consider (so far I'm considering Australia since they only look at marks from one degree. Training in Australia should be adequate as I aspire to be a clinician-scientist. As such, being trained as a medical doctor is extremely important whereas coming back to Canada to practice is not)?

You can still use your best or most recent 2-3 years at Queen's, Ottawa, Western, Dal, and others, so I'm not sure why you would rule those out immediately. Anecdotally it is becoming increasingly difficult for non-Australians to get postgrad training there (I suggest you look at the Australia SDN forum), so I would not consider that as a clearly viable option, especially if you want to go the academic route.

Hello A-Stark,

Thank you very much for the reply. I am not disregarding the options I have in Canada. I am really trying to know if I should think about applying to the States.

By the way, I only took 4 courses per year in my second undergraduate study. So I don't think I'm eligible for Dal or Western.

Thank again, though!!!!!

An August MCAT sitting will put you in at a very late AMCAS verification date for this coming cycle. So I would perhaps strengthen your application, especially clinically-based volunteerism, and apply NEXT cycle. If schools only get your MCAT score by september or so, that's going to be TERRIBLY late.

Archived