Premed 101 Forums

2015 MCAT at McMaster

Hi everyone,

I know it's a little bit early, but does anyone know which sections of the MCAT Mac will consider with the new format in 2015?

p.s. I searchéd the forum and couldn't find an answer to this question, but please forgive me if it's already been asked!

It probably will not change. A new section will take years to collect viable data on how accurately it predicts physician success. Mac has already "said" that they think that verbal is the only worth while component of the MCAT and supplement that with CASPER. I cant see them bringing the other components back in any time soon, although I wish that they had minimums in BS and PS to prevent people from turning the MCAT into a 1 hour verbal test.

There is no longer a "Verbal Reasoning" section on the 2015 MCAT. There is a "Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills" section - are people assuming that this is the section that Mac will be using?

That would be my best guess

It probably will not change. A new section will take years to collect viable data on how accurately it predicts physician success. Mac has already "said" that they think that verbal is the only worth while component of the MCAT and supplement that with CASPER. I cant see them bringing the other components back in any time soon, although I wish that they had minimums in BS and PS to prevent people from turning the MCAT into a 1 hour verbal test.

Why? If that really is the only measure they think is valid then as far as they're concerned all that's required is a 1 hr verbal test. They are aware that some people choose to write only the verbal section. Although that wasn't my approach, if you're only planning to apply to schools that don't consider the other sections, why would you need to write them?

I'm just curious as to why you feel this way. Do you think the other sections offer something even in the case of schools that don't consider them?

Why? If that really is the only measure they think is valid then as far as they're concerned all that's required is a 1 hr verbal test. They are aware that some people choose to write only the verbal section. Although that wasn't my approach, if you're only planning to apply to schools that don't consider the other sections, why would you need to write them?

I'm just curious as to why you feel this way. Do you think the other sections offer something even in the case of schools that don't consider them?

There's a huge mindset difference coming in to write a 4.5 hour multi-subject test when compared to writing a 60 min test which focuses on testing cognitive ability. Physical sciences are the first subject tested and I'm going to make the assumption that pre-meds are not as versed in physics as they are with the biological sciences. I know people who struggle really hard with physics are going to be demoralized after writing a section that they struggled with. Its as much a psychological test as it is a standardized test. People who only write verbal are under significantly less test stress than those of us who write all of it.

Obviously people are giving up chances at other schools by only choosing verbal. I wouldn't be surprised if their mean VR scores were significantly higher than those who wrote the full test. If that were the case would it not follow that full test writers are slightly disadvantaged at those schools. If there were low cutoffs (6-8) then people would be forced to make significant effort in the other subjects.

With respect to the MCAT2015, I read the description and it seemed to just be a rebrand of VR. Except they made it longer and gave it a cheesy acronym. I think its also worth noting that the CARS section is dead last. I would think that this is only going to advantage people who skip the first three even more.

There's a huge mindset difference coming in to write a 4.5 hour multi-subject test when compared to writing a 60 min test which focuses on testing cognitive ability. Physical sciences are the first subject tested and I'm going to make the assumption that pre-meds are not as versed in physics as they are with the biological sciences. I know people who struggle really hard with physics are going to be demoralized after writing a section that they struggled with. Its as much a psychological test as it is a standardized test. People who only write verbal are under significantly less test stress than those of us who write all of it.

Obviously people are giving up chances at other schools by only choosing verbal. I wouldn't be surprised if their mean VR scores were significantly higher than those who wrote the full test. If that were the case would it not follow that full test writers are slightly disadvantaged at those schools. If there were low cutoffs (6-8) then people would be forced to make significant effort in the other subjects.

With respect to the MCAT2015, I read the description and it seemed to just be a rebrand of VR. Except they made it longer and gave it a cheesy acronym. I think its also worth noting that the CARS section is dead last. I would think that this is only going to advantage people who skip the first three even more.

+1

10char

Fair enough. I can see your point about the advantage of writing only the VR. I'm still not sure that I think all applicants at Mac should have to write all sections. One of the possible reasons Mac doesn't consider the PS and BS may be because they don't want to filter out applicants who wouldn't have the science background required for them (they have some students who have little to no science before med - whether that's a good or bad thing is another issue). Afterall, until recent years they didn't consider any part of the MCAT. Making all applicants write all sections could prevent these types of students from applying.

However, like I said, I do see your point and I'm not sure what would be a good solution to prevent any possible disadvantage to those writing the whole test while still allowing access to non-science students. Maybe a better brain than mine will come up with a possible solution?

I agree that it may not be fair to those who are doing a full exam....a more tired mind and all....but at the same time its a give and take of sorts right? If someone chooses to do ONLY verbal they effectively cut themselves out of ANY chance whatsoever of applying to and getting into ANY school. All of their hopes and dreams lie on getting into Mac (and undoubtedly they have a lot more stress come interview time)

But those who write the full MCAT have an opportunity to apply to a LOT more schools thus increasing chances for acceptance, and should they get multiple interviews, they will of course have stress but at least a tad bit less knowing their entire future doesnt lie exclusively on one interview.

Its a game of risk really.

I agree that it may not be fair to those who are doing a full exam....a more tired mind and all....but at the same time its a give and take of sorts right? If someone chooses to do ONLY verbal they effectively cut themselves out of ANY chance whatsoever of applying to and getting into ANY school. All of their hopes and dreams lie on getting into Mac (and undoubtedly they have a lot more stress come interview time)

But those who write the full MCAT have an opportunity to apply to a LOT more schools thus increasing chances for acceptance, and should they get multiple interviews, they will of course have stress but at least a tad bit less knowing their entire future doesnt lie exclusively on one interview.

Its a game of risk really.

I just don't think it lines up with Mac's research, though. Mac believes a higher verbal score is indicative of a better doctor, as taken from scores where the subjects performed the entire MCAT.

When people deviate from this they inflate their Verbal score, and perhaps mess with the correlation that Mac discovered and researched.

It is probably in Mac's best interest - if they wish to maintain the integrity of their results, unless they have already accounted for this - to use a minimum score in the other sections. Otherwise you really may be cheating their system. But again maybe they already accounted for this.

If it didn't have a significant effect in the current iteration of the MCAT, I'm sure that there will be with the 2015. Staring at a computer screen for over 4 hours, while writing a test will be mentally draining. The new VR is the last section to be tested.

Also I wouldn't go so far as to say physical sciences are mentally draining but rather it can start the test off on a bad note for people weaker in physics, which can just throw a person off their test taking game. Obviously some people would have the opposite effect and be energized. I liked having physics first as I'm doing my undergrad in physics.

Personally I believe the MCAT really should be replaced entirely. It is not an accurate indicator of physician potential and its function just seems to be a hoop to jump through. It also could be argued that it favours the higher economic social classes but yeah I don't want to get off topic...

Personally I believe the MCAT really should be replaced entirely. It is not an accurate indicator of physician potential and its function just seems to be a hoop to jump through. It also could be argued that it favours the higher economic social classes but yeah I don't want to get off topic...

+1

The MCAT is very 20th Century. Old and dusty.

Mac already has the CASPer tech and stuff... just roll a 50 minute VR style test into that application.

+1

The MCAT is very 20th Century. Old and dusty.

Mac already has the CASPer tech and stuff... just roll a 50 minute VR style test into that application.

I disagree. I think one of the main reasons of the test is to ensure that people entering med school can take a large amount of information and apply it all in one sitting. It's much difference from regular UG exams/tests where you only have to know one slice of a topic. During your licencing exams and during medical school you will need to take a LOT of info in and be tested on it all at the same time. It's good to have as a flag. I.e. if you can't get roughly a 30 or so, it may be more difficult for you to learn and apply info at the rate you need to in med school.

I disagree. I think one of the main reasons of the test is to ensure that people entering med school can take a large amount of information and apply it all in one sitting. It's much difference from regular UG exams/tests where you only have to know one slice of a topic. During your licencing exams and during medical school you will need to take a LOT of info in and be tested on it all at the same time. It's good to have as a flag. I.e. if you can't get roughly a 30 or so, it may be more difficult for you to learn and apply info at the rate you need to in med school.

I agree. I think VR is particularly important for Mac because students are expect to learn for the most part on their own. You have to have the skill of reading large amounts of text and actually understanding them.

Archived