Premed 101 Forums

UofT waitlisters

Guest plugger

Guest plugger

Hello everyone,

Just wondering how many of us are on the UofT waitlist and are considering going somewhere else. That is, you're waitlisted at UofT and are accepted at Mcgill and going to Mcgill, or you are holding out for a response from Alberta or Western. I am kind of wondering what my chances are like since I was so poorly ranked on the waitlist. Any input is greatly appreciated. This forum has become stagnant for some time now, c'mon people let's get posting.

Guest ExDent

I was in a top 10 position on the waitlist but am now accepted to medicine. I will drop my spot within the next couple of weeks.

Best of luck.

Guest plugger

Gee thanks a lot- only 48 more to go- best of luck to you too. I forgot to add that if you have been accepted at UofT and are deciding to give up your spot, please post as well.

Thanks again peeps.

Guest toothy

well the last two times I applied to UofT I didn't get onto the waitlist. With your terrific stats I guess the only "silver lining" is that now people won't think of dentistry as a place solely for rejects. Sorry if this is getting off-topic, but somebody from meds was putting up ads on the blackboard promoting kaplan mcat courses, directed to dental students. There were such captions as "succeed where you failed before!" or "bored with the mouth?"... I don't get offended easily, but boy some of the people in class were pretty mad. well, uwo kaplan promoters, if you guys are reading this, maybe you can be a bit more subtle next time!

Guest ExDent

That's really unfortunate that they would use such derogatory comments.

Personally, I have the utmost respect for dentists... Even their training appeals to me more than meds. I was reading a survey on the web (for all Canadian dents graduates)... in terms of job satisfaction, a sense that their training meets the needs of their job, monetary rewards, etc... they top every field... and substantially in some areas over meds.

Nonetheless, meds has been something I wanted for a long time. Interestingly, a lot of my friends who want to go to dents never even thought about meds. At the same time, it is hard to ignore that applying to both dents and meds is a relatively "easy" option considering that both dentistry at both UT and UWO do not require reference letters and mainly look at marks and DAT (more so on GPA). Even the interviewers are nicer! :)

Guest juan

Hey plugger,

I will probably free up another spot at Uof T dents if I am accepted into meds in early June, so one more is out !!

good luck, and as far as I know there are at least 6-8 other people like me who got accepted into dents but are waiting for med schools to switch out.

Guest plugger

Hey Juan what med schools did you apply to dude... same goes for you exdent...where did you get accepted? Good luck to both of you and I'm glad you'll be in a place that's better suited to your personal desires....oh and thanks for increasing the probability that I'll get in where I want to go.Thanks again guys...anyone else have any good news for me?

Guest juan

Hey plugger,

I waiting for Mac, Queens and Western meds - any of them will be fine. Did you apply to Western dents ? Cause I even didn't get an interview there, and here I am accepted right away into Uof T...

What kind of a hellish admission system does Western dental use ? Strange stuff..

Guest toothy

maybe you forgot to hand in something? I'd also think that if you were declined an interview they'd at least reveal the reason...

Guest plugger

Western puts a larger emphasis on your dat.... It could have been your reading score...if you read their web page closely you'll see that you need 19 to qualify for an interview...If you did, did you score at least 85 overall...that was another requirement for an interview. In addition, they prefer fourth years vs third years..which is evident if you check out their class composition from the previous year. Otherwise, I have no idea why you wouldn't get an interview. If you don't mind, what were your stats...I am a little confused with UofT because I thought, and it looks like alot of other people did as well, that I should have placed higher on the waiting list at the very least. Well, I just received all my marks for this year.. and I had a 4.0 so my cumulative gpa is now 3.91. But the UofT web page says that they drop your worst year if you will have 4 or more years completed at the time of entrance into dentistry which makes my GPA 4.0-which I feel will give me a much better chance if I don't get off the waitlist this year. I'll study for the dat this time if I have to retake it and I will apply to western and Mcgill as well as a few U.S schools next year. Does anyone have any info on Mcgill- What are ontario resident's chances? I just hope that alot of people that were accepted into dentistry or on the waitlist were also accepted to meds which would greatly increase my chances. Good luck to you.

Guest juan

You know guys I guess what screwed me at Western was that I got below 85 cumulative (only 4 on soap). As for my stats, well plugger, I don't have impressive stats like you, but I do have 3.82 cumulative, a 4 year degree, and 21 on DAT bio, 19 of Percep, and 20 on all the rest except the soap. I think what got me in was the interview where I managed to answer the questions the way I exactly intended and the way they were wanting to hear it...

It is a good idea to apply to US, cause people there have GPAs of 3.2-3.3 and this is considered a good average for admissions. I know a guy from Canada who got into a state school (U of Maryland) with GPA of 3.45. However, the money you have to pay is insane...

Does anyone know what is this dental residency stuff I saw on UofT web page ? Is like med residency, except it is only one year ? If anyone knows, please share a view details...All the best to all of you guys, hope everything works out.

Guest toothy

juan, sorry to hear your soap didn't go so well. If it's any consolation everyone I talk to doesn't think it has any correlation to actual dental skills.

As for residency, I've heard you can get it at Hospital for Sick Kids in Toronto, and I think if you took the American Boards you can do it in the States too. You don't need a residency to practice, and with a residency I don't think it adds any titles to your name like a specialty. It's basically a way to get more experience before diving head-first into a dental practice and pick up a few dollars for the time you spend. If you are looking for specialty though, it's possible that if you mingle with the faculty well as a resident it may help improve chances with your application.

Those of you who mentioned you were placed on U of T waitlists - was it the out-of-province waitlist? I was ranked in the top 10 on OOP waitlist so am trying to get a feel for my chances... Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

Archived