Premed 101 Forums

What are your choices, and why?

I think this is a new change, but the information came from a couple of different profs in "OT Theory" courses, so I'm pretty sure it's accurate. Don't get me wrong, you still graduate an Occupational Therapist! It is just a different approach from other schools :)

I'm not 100% sure if this is the case, since the UofT website clearly says their program leads to a Master of Science in Occupational Therapy (MScOT). http://www.ot.utoronto.ca/ps/admissions.asp It says leading to "the professional practice of Occupational Therapy" http://www.ot.utoronto.ca/ps/ps_faq.asp. They claim on the "about" page to have the first ever program in occupational therapy.

However, the department is now called "Department of Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy". Maybe that's where the confusion is coming from?

Thanks for your info on the other schools... I think in any case they are all really good programs. Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

WDP89~

Thanks for your insight! It's definitely helpful! Just when I think I've researched everything, I find new things.

I hope I didn't come across snarky, I'd never say a bad word about Queen's :) It seems like a great school, and a great program. I wish I could get over it but it's a shame that my whole experience there was dampened by someone having a bad day, so now I just have an icky feeling when I think of it. If I get an offer from Queen's it's still very much in the running for me! It's just a weird mental block.

I think UofT recently revamped their program! Because when I looked 2 years ago I had eliminated it from my options because it was 3 years instead of two, with summers off! But when I looked before applying in the fall, it was more in line with what other schools were offering and even the website as been changed, so maybe it is just a case of things changing recently?

Guest Physioprospect
WDP89 - I am considering going for Queens vs UT if I get acceptance for both (this is for PT). What can you say about Queens PT program?

Thanks

I can say that PT is a vey rigorous and demanding program. Most days go from 8:30-4 then you study 3-4 hrs a night (some people more). Its a hard thing to do when the other faculties OT, SLP and Audiology have a alot more time off in the summer and some even work part time jobs during the year.

I can say that PT is a vey rigorous and demanding program. Most days go from 8:30-4 then you study 3-4 hrs a night (some people more). Its a hard thing to do when the other faculties OT, SLP and Audiology have a alot more time off in the summer and some even work part time jobs during the year.

Would this be for ALL OT schools where its more "relaxed"?

Guest Physioprospect
Would this be for ALL OT schools where its more "relaxed"?

My friend at western says the same thing. Not sure about other schools.

cc3:

I completely understand! I would most likely feel the exact same way. I have the same sentiments about DAL lol

SheepE:

I can't say much about Queen's Physio as we have limited interaction (only our Critical Enquiry class-- aka "research" project class), but Physioprospect should be able to shed more light as he/she is a current Queen's PT. I don't know about OT being more "relaxed", there is just a different kind of demand.. a lot of group work, papers, presentations as opposed to exam-type testing. Our schedule was jammed packed first term (8 courses to juggle), but is definitely more open this term. Our last exam (integrated first year-- material from all courses) is June 24th and our first day next year is September 9th. I'm coming back early to get AMPS certified, but that is optional.

As far as the U of T program, I am not 100% about anything. That is just what I was told in class, but have nothing to back it up. Occupational Science is a framework that all OTs use, but U of T definitely uses it as more of a core part of their program.

There are pros and cons to each program, it is up to you all to decide what you think fits best with your learning style! Don't forget to also think about the lifestyle each city offers when making your choice. I can't speak to the other cities, but I really enjoy Kingston. It's exceptionally beautiful this time of year. I just got done with a beautiful waterfront run with my pup, and I know he especially enjoys the lake haha

I would urge you to contact people who are currently part of the programs to give their insight! I really wished I had someone to ask questions to so that's why I am trying to be as informative as I can to you guys :)

Once again, good luck! Only a few more hours now ;)

@WDP89

I never knew it was a requirement for all schools to do a mental health setting. Only Mac specified it on their website. Thanks for the tip! I remembered reading about Queens and NOSM having some sort of partnership so that's nice to hear. I just can't sleep so I'm re-reading everything now (but not checking emails haha).

How is the community OT at Queens? I read in their course structure that there was one and thought it was really interesting.

Really?! I've heard it's so hard to keep one up! And that profs recommend no more than 10 hours a week. Do they work a lot?

We have a part time community development placement next year which is done in pairs. We don't have a lot of details yet, but it is 2 days/wk plus a full two weeks at the end! I actually met one of the preceptors for that course at the dog park (lol) and she told me she works on a psychiatric team. You can also choose to do this placement internationally which is done at the end of course work (so sometime between May and August of your second year). There are only specific places you can go for this.. we were told them today but the only ones I remember are Ghana, Bangladesh and I think Tanzania (there are more).

Also, about the part-time job, I only know one person in OT that has a job right now and she is waitressing 2 days/wk. She only began this semester in March when our schedule relaxed.

Hope this helps :)

@WDP89

I never knew it was a requirement for all schools to do a mental health setting. Only Mac specified it on their website. Thanks for the tip! I remembered reading about Queens and NOSM having some sort of partnership so that's nice to hear. I just can't sleep so I'm re-reading everything now (but not checking emails haha).

How is the community OT at Queens? I read in their course structure that there was one and thought it was really interesting.

If you stay local it is part-time during a coursework block, but if you did it international it would be full time. You would have thursday and friday off during the coursework block in the winter.

For our last placement you can either do April-June or June-Aug, so your international community placement and your last placement would be done back-to-back depending on when your community placement was scheduled.

You can do your last placement internationally as well. You just need to do the legwork yourself for that one! (Find a preceptor, get your visa, etc)

If you stay local it is part-time during a coursework block, but if you did it international it would be full time. You would have thursday and friday off during the coursework block in the winter.

For our last placement you can either do April-June or June-Aug, so your international community placement and your last placement would be done back-to-back depending on when your community placement was scheduled.

You can do your last placement internationally as well. You just need to do the legwork yourself for that one! (Find a preceptor, get your visa, etc)

So if I understand this correctly, doing it international means you end up with more placement time overall? Do you get a lot of support for international placements or it's really up to you to do everything?

Archived