Premed 101 Forums

Does it matter what school you're applying from?

Guest rez32

Guest rez32

Hi everyone,

I'm applying for university next year and always thought that I'd be going to U of T for my undergrads... but then recently I heard that it's so much harder to get a high GPA from U of T then from other schools.... I'm looking into York U now as an option..... Is York an easier school to get good marks? and would it reflect badly on me if I applied from York as opposed to U of T for Dental school?

Guest DentalStudent

I don't think it matters at all whether you apply from UFT or York or any other schools. The way the admission process is designed - your GPA is taken into consideration not your school...

That's being said - I am not sure whether it is easier to get a high GPA if you go to UFT versus any other university. I went to UFT and had very high GPA and that is because I worked hard and liked the courses I was taking. There is no proof (scientific study) done so far to show that it is harder to get a high GPA in UFT. Factors you should take into consideration when deciding what university to go to are: location, faculty, courses/programs offered, library, etc. But that is only my opinion, rest is up to you. Good luck!

Guest bcdentalgirl

Hi,

I don't know about schools in Ontario, but I know that here in BC, they SAY they don't look at the difficaulty level of obtaining a good GPA. If I had to do it all over again, I would have done my first and second year at a small college (like Langara, here in Van) where class sizes are smaller and it's vastly easier to get an "A". All they see is the grade, not where you got it from.

Archived