Premed 101 Forums

Timing the letters of recommendation

It's been said that, in American schools, the sooner you get your primary & secondary applications in, the better. How does this apply to when the letters of recommendation are sent in? Is your primary (or secondary) application not considered until all the letters arrive, or is there some leniency?

In essence, what deadline should I set my referees to mail the letters?

It's been said that, in American schools, the sooner you get your primary & secondary applications in, the better. How does this apply to when the letters of recommendation are sent in? Is your primary (or secondary) application not considered until all the letters arrive, or is there some leniency?

In essence, what deadline should I set my referees to mail the letters?

First off, remember that the verification process buys your referees some time. Initially the wait is short (days to a couple weeks) but in peak submission it can be as much as 6-8 weeks !

Second, schools will probably not consider your application complete, even if they've received your primary, until they've received the minimum number of reference letters (usually 3). Until your application is complete, I doubt they will actually review it. However, since most schools send secondaries without any screening, you can at least start working on your additional essays and questions. A couple schools DO screen before secondaries (again, rare) but probably only use your GPA, MCAT and maybe Personal Statement to do so.

BTW, also in YVR here. I applied and got 2 waitlists in the US: Mount Sinai & SLU

Archived