Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Physics prep

Guest bigbuffblackboy

Guest bigbuffblackboy

I haven't taken university physics, but I took grade 11 and 12 physics. I'm wondering if that type of physics knowledge is sufficient to do well on the MCAT with, or if I should take a university physics course as well?

Thanks a lot.

MCAT physics is mostly carpenter's physics: Pulleys, masses, friction, torque, work etc. It was entirely covered by my highschool (OAC) coursework, but I don't know how it compares to the new curriculum.

Guest Madz25

MCAT physics is all high school physics. University physics includes some calculus - and there is NO calculus on the MCAT. Your high school physics knowledge should be plenty.

Madz

Guest richmond604

hmmm......not entirely true......i didn't have to use physics for university physics at all (you do need it for engineering physics though)......

but fluid stuff I didn't learn till I started studying for the mcat...

Guest SevenAges

Careful. My high-school classes covered waves (which was too long ago for me to remember) and Kinematics. Definitely not enough. Uni. Physics covered everything but Thermodynamics. Whether you want to take it or not depends on your own strengths and weaknesses in Physics and, of course, how much you can motivate yourself to study.

Guest Jochi1543
i didn't have to use physics for university physics at all

Now if only I could find an orgo course which didn't require you to use orgo...;):P

I only took first half of physics in uni, and took in HS, but it was nearly 6 years ago....and yet I'm scoring better on the material that belongs on the 2nd half of the course after reading the Kaplan prep book than on the material from the 1st half of the course, which I had actually studied in uni - kinematics, newton's, etc. So I think whatever you'll find in an MCAT prep booklet should be enough.

Guest bigbuffblackboy

So if I study those MCAT prep books and go over high school physics notes I should be aight? Thanks a lot guys.

• 2 weeks later...

The Gold Standard MCAT by Brett Ferdinand claims to cover all of the topics you might encounter on the exam, and the physics review is broken down into the following sections:

Translational Motion

Force, Motion and Gravitation

Particle Dynamics

Equilibrium

Work and Energy

Fluids and Solids

Wave Characteristics and Periodic Motion

Sound

Electrostatics and Electromagnetism

Electric Circuits

Light and Geometrical Optics

Atomic and Nuclear Structure

Some of the chapters are only 2 pages long, so it's not as daunting as it might look. On the practice exams (actual previous MCATs) that I've done, I've noticed that there are often stand-alone questions on Force, Motion and Gravitation (pulleys, friction, projectiles), and usually at least one passage on Light and Geometrical Optics (lens stuff), Atomic and Nuclear Structure (alpha, beta, gamma, half-lives), Electric Circuits, Fluids (Archimedes, pressure, buoyancy, etc.) and Wave Characteristics (often sound in pipes, Doppler).

Physics is my weakest topic, so I'm making sure that I know all of the formulas & how to rearrange them. :confused:

Archived