Premed 101 Forums

McMaster OT-need advice from current students

I am having a really hard time deciding which school to go to for OT and am hoping I can get some advice from people in the current programs to possibly chime in on some of my concerns.

The OT program at McMaster is most appealing to me right now for many personal reasons, but I want to be sure it is the right choice for me academically and professionally. I originally loved the idea of the PBL model and self-directed learning but now I am getting concerned that there will be no support from professors, and possibly no room for making connections in that way. As well I am afraid this model of learning will lead me to miss out on valuable information if I don't include it in my personal learning plan. I think my fear comes from not really fully understanding how the system works. It would be so amazing if any current OT students from McMaster could let me know about how this learning model has worked for them?

-Thanks so much!

I'm not a Mac student, but like you I'm having a tough time making a decision! I did speak with someone, though, who graduated from Mac OT.

From what I understand, a common misconception of the program is that the entire thing is taught using problem based learning without any time spent in the classroom. This actually is not the case. She said that in first year they did six hours a week in PBTs and in 2nd year 3 hrs. Therefore if you are in the program and don't love the PBL method, it doesn't mean your entire time there is ruined, as there are still lectures. There is definitely support from profs, and also your classmates who are in your PBT group. Each PBT has a facilitator there to help you in case you need guidance. Hope that helps!

Archived