Premed 101 Forums

UWO OT Facebook Group

Which schools are you deciding between, UfT and Western correct? I chose Western over Queens because I have parents there and it is ultimately easier and cheaper to go back and live with them. UfT and Western have the same traditional learning style. The courses are taught much different so I would take a look into their syllabi. Western's is already up with all the information from last year. Both schools you are in classes 9-5 M-F. From what my UfT friend told me, the cadavers at Western are supposed to be much better in the anatomy lab. I dont know if that matters to you haha. Placements are different (with Western you can do rural, but keep in mind you will need a car or a buddy to get to any placement outside of London because there is no transport). The big advantage to UfT is that there is the TTC to take you to all your urban placements. You'd have to go to extra lengths to get a rural one in that program probably. I personally wanted to go rural because that's where the majority of full time jobs are now in Canada and having that experience would help later. Toronto and cities are so saturated it's very hard to find jobs as new grads and most are part time, so networking won't get you as far anymore.

Have a look into how each school does their placements. Western has a policy on where you can do them (one mental health, one physical health minimum, one rural or community, leaving you with one other) that encompasses the OT practicing field. They do a 4 week block to start and then three 8 weeks, so you get 4 placement sites overall. I never looked into UfT so I can't provide any information there, but I'm sure it's on their website. You could look into professors and their research. Surprisingly Western is quite heavy on research and from your first month you spend time devising a research project in OT (from what I can tell anyways).

Both are good schools. Someone said in these forums UfT changed their degree name but I'm not too sure of the validity of that remark. I'm not sure where you're from but student living in London is way cheaper than Toronto. There's lots of students houses beside the university and apartments not too far where students stay. The University itself is quite big but has buses running through it to get around sometimes (depends where you go!)

An OT student I talked to who just finished at Western this year said she loved the program and recommended it. It was her top choice because apparently their faculty has the OT gurus, so maybe look into professors too!

Side note: UfT lies about their RA/TA positions as there are none. My friend who goes there said she's never heard of them ever being posted or the pay is so low it is worthless (for RA). I don't think we get these positions as grad professional students. :(

Good luck choosing!

Well, to be fair the UofT website says you must contact the head of the department you are interested in TAing for, and that they won't be posting the position. Also for OT you will definitely have to apply outside of the program - it specifically says there won't be any TA positions within OT.

Well, to be fair the UofT website says you must contact the head of the department you are interested in TAing for, and that they won't be posting the position. Also for OT you will definitely have to apply outside of the program - it specifically says there won't be any TA positions within OT.

I keep trying to tell my parents and grandparents that I won't have the opportunity to TA and they just won't believe me. :( I never understood why Toronto has a direct link to TA/RA on the OT website if they don't offer it - its extremely misleading for prospective students.

hey, i actually go to western lol

i really enjoy the program because of the people! my class is amazing. the program itself is good- not great. we've had some huge issues with profs this year and the curriculum itself could use some adjustments, i.e. they need more science courses! in first year there are only 2 science courses- anatomy and conditions. conditions had an awful prof. anatomy was hands down the best course. this is a course where you'll actually learn things that you can transfer into practice. the cadavers are a unique experience. there are 3 research courses in first year. overkill if you ask me. in general, i've learned a lot from the program so far, and some classes really are great, but i think the program could benefit from more science and less research courses. both of my placements have been very science-heavy, and i found having taken cadaver anatomy was extremely helpful, but for the most part i had to research a lot of things that weren't taught in school, i.e. heart & lung conditions.

by the way rural is not required. you can do a community placement instead. the first placement is a crapshoot because you do not get to pick specific placements, only location. there were 1 or 2 people who were really upset with where they were placed, but in general most people were happy. placements #2-4 involve choice (we pick a top 5). most people get something in their top 5. trading is also allowed. the fieldwork coordinator is awesome and she accommodates your special needs. i love her.

western is also great for international experience! there are 10 people in OT going to norway this summer. many people are going to scotland for placement (i think about 7 people), we have 2 going to barbados, and others going to england, singapore, australia, india, etc. everyone who applied to travel abroad got accepted, and it is well-funded through bursaries as well! everyone going to norway got at least $2000. this school is awesome if you want to travel internationally!

anyways, if you have any questions feel free to ask!

p.s. i am very, very happy with the decision i made to go to western. don't get me wrong!

p.p.s. i also wanted to add re: class schedule. for first semester it was 9:30-4:30 mon-wed, then 230-330 on thursday, then 830-1230 on friday. second semester was similar except no class on friday and class on monday began at 130. it was amazing.

With Western you have to set up your own placement correct? Do you know how difficult that is or does the coordinator give you a lot of support in finding places? The bursaries sound great... One of my main reasons to go to Western was for an easier time abroad on my wallet (my parents already live in London) but any financial help is really nice!

How does the research work? Do you pick a topic individually or in groups? I was trying to go through the syllabi to find out because although I'm very interested in conducting research, I have no prior experience. It seems a little scary to start right off the bat in first semester with a research prof, but maybe I read I wrong or don't fully understand.

Which schools are you deciding between, UfT and Western correct? I chose Western over Queens because I have parents there and it is ultimately easier and cheaper to go back and live with them. UfT and Western have the same traditional learning style. The courses are taught much different so I would take a look into their syllabi. Western's is already up with all the information from last year. Both schools you are in classes 9-5 M-F. From what my UfT friend told me, the cadavers at Western are supposed to be much better in the anatomy lab. I dont know if that matters to you haha. Placements are different (with Western you can do rural, but keep in mind you will need a car or a buddy to get to any placement outside of London because there is no transport). The big advantage to UfT is that there is the TTC to take you to all your urban placements. You'd have to go to extra lengths to get a rural one in that program probably. I personally wanted to go rural because that's where the majority of full time jobs are now in Canada and having that experience would help later. Toronto and cities are so saturated it's very hard to find jobs as new grads and most are part time, so networking won't get you as far anymore.

Have a look into how each school does their placements. Western has a policy on where you can do them (one mental health, one physical health minimum, one rural or community, leaving you with one other) that encompasses the OT practicing field. They do a 4 week block to start and then three 8 weeks, so you get 4 placement sites overall. I never looked into UfT so I can't provide any information there, but I'm sure it's on their website. You could look into professors and their research. Surprisingly Western is quite heavy on research and from your first month you spend time devising a research project in OT (from what I can tell anyways).

Both are good schools. Someone said in these forums UfT changed their degree name but I'm not too sure of the validity of that remark. I'm not sure where you're from but student living in London is way cheaper than Toronto. There's lots of students houses beside the university and apartments not too far where students stay. The University itself is quite big but has buses running through it to get around sometimes (depends where you go!)

An OT student I talked to who just finished at Western this year said she loved the program and recommended it. It was her top choice because apparently their faculty has the OT gurus, so maybe look into professors too!

Side note: UfT lies about their RA/TA positions as there are none. My friend who goes there said she's never heard of them ever being posted or the pay is so low it is worthless (for RA). I don't think we get these positions as grad professional students. :(

Good luck choosing!

Yup! I'm actually still on the waitlist for UofT so I'm likely going to Western, but I just like to think that I still have a chance at UofT lol. Thanks for telling me about all the great things about Western! I'm personally from Toronto and live with my parents so obviously it's a better choice money-wise for me to stay in Toronto. But now Western doesn't sound too bad. Just need to find a place to live! Do you have any recommendations for which areas to look in? We can do this through PM if you'd like. :)

[quote name='person14']hey, i actually go to western lol[/QUOTE]

Your post was extremely helpful, thanks! :D

I do have a couple questions:
1. I know you said that they need more science courses, but I've actually heard that Western's program was the most science-heavy, particularly in first year! So as someone who hasn't taken any science courses in university (not even intro bio or chem, let alone anatomy), I was very worried about the science courses in particular. Would you say that a newbie can still handle the courses? I'm prepared to work really hard and even do some summer reading.

2. Can you give any tips about renting and how to go about finding a place? And how much does it usually cost? I'm looking for something for myself and somewhat close to the campus.

Otherwise, the class schedule and international placements sound AWESOME. Thanks again for the "insider scoop"! :)

With Western you have to set up your own placement correct? Do you know how difficult that is or does the coordinator give you a lot of support in finding places? The bursaries sound great... One of my main reasons to go to Western was for an easier time abroad on my wallet (my parents already live in London) but any financial help is really nice!

How does the research work? Do you pick a topic individually or in groups? I was trying to go through the syllabi to find out because although I'm very interested in conducting research, I have no prior experience. It seems a little scary to start right off the bat in first semester with a research prof, but maybe I read I wrong or don't fully understand.

No we don't set up our own placements. For placement #1 we pick a top 3 location. A computer generator assigns placements to us based upon our top choices.

For placements #2-4, we pick specific placements, i.e. stroke rehab @ x hospital. The computer generator does its thing again from our top 5 choices.

the research project is done in groups of 4. you assemble your own groups, then give the profs your top 3 choices. They randomly assign topics to you. You are assigned a research supervisor who is a prof at Western. Some supervisors are much better than others lol, so choose topics wisely.

Your post was extremely helpful, thanks! :D

I do have a couple questions:

1. I know you said that they need more science courses, but I've actually heard that Western's program was the most science-heavy, particularly in first year! So as someone who hasn't taken any science courses in university (not even intro bio or chem, let alone anatomy), I was very worried about the science courses in particular. Would you say that a newbie can still handle the courses? I'm prepared to work really hard and even do some summer reading.

2. Can you give any tips about renting and how to go about finding a place? And how much does it usually cost? I'm looking for something for myself and somewhat close to the campus.

Otherwise, the class schedule and international placements sound AWESOME. Thanks again for the "insider scoop"! :)

1. i'm not a science major and i managed well! don't worry! it could be intimidating at first, but with hard work and dedication, you will do really well. class averages are in the low 80's for every class. every exam is bell curved. i don't think there has been an exam where the prof didn't either bell the marks, or take out disputable questions- which there were lots of. the profs are very reasonable, but my class was considered an annoying(ly awesome) class who always disputed exam questions, and it works! so if you advocate for mark changes as a class, there is a likelihood that you'll get it. after most anatomy bell ringers, there were complaints as the answer key was sometimes wrong (i.e. they could have pinned an artery and on the answer key it says vein. this is when you call in the TA's and the prof to re-check the cadaver). that's why it's so important be pro-active and advocate when necessary!

2. kijiji is your best bet! rent usually costs between 450-550 a month if you're willing to have roommates. my rent was 473 during first year. try to find a place near elborn college! what i did was search kijiji and put addresses into mapquest to judge distance away from elborn.

i found the bus system to be very good in the western area. the bus i took came every 5 minutes or so in the morning. there's also buses you can take from elborn college to the main campus. we only ever have to go to the main campus for anatomy, and to pick up our bus passes. everything else is at elborn!! elborn is also across the street from the western gym which was so convenient! other places across the street include 7/11, subway, schwarma place, froyo place. it's a great location if you ask me!

p.s. just wanted to clarify. the class average for "most" classes is low 80, but for anatomy I'd imagine it is lower. Cadaver anatomy is quite difficult as you can imagine, but only 1 person failed. They are still in the program however!

p.p.s. Western <3!!!

No we don't set up our own placements. For placement #1 we pick a top 3 location. A computer generator assigns placements to us based upon our top choices.

For placements #2-4, we pick specific placements, i.e. stroke rehab @ x hospital. The computer generator does its thing again from our top 5 choices.

the research project is done in groups of 4. you assemble your own groups, then give the profs your top 3 choices. They randomly assign topics to you. You are assigned a research supervisor who is a prof at Western. Some supervisors are much better than others lol, so choose topics wisely.

I just realized I mistyped my question! Sorry. I meant that for the international placements. Are there sites already known and used each year or you have to find your own depending on which country you want?

Thanks for all your information, it's really helpful! It's nice to see people from Western representing the school, I feel like it is very underrepresented here.

1. i'm not a science major and i managed well! don't worry! it could be intimidating at first, but with hard work and dedication, you will do really well. class averages are in the low 80's for every class. every exam is bell curved. i don't think there has been an exam where the prof didn't either bell the marks, or take out disputable questions- which there were lots of. the profs are very reasonable, but my class was considered an annoying(ly awesome) class who always disputed exam questions, and it works! so if you advocate for mark changes as a class, there is a likelihood that you'll get it. after most anatomy bell ringers, there were complaints as the answer key was sometimes wrong (i.e. they could have pinned an artery and on the answer key it says vein. this is when you call in the TA's and the prof to re-check the cadaver). that's why it's so important be pro-active and advocate when necessary!

2. kijiji is your best bet! rent usually costs between 450-550 a month if you're willing to have roommates. my rent was 473 during first year. try to find a place near elborn college! what i did was search kijiji and put addresses into mapquest to judge distance away from elborn.

i found the bus system to be very good in the western area. the bus i took came every 5 minutes or so in the morning. there's also buses you can take from elborn college to the main campus. we only ever have to go to the main campus for anatomy, and to pick up our bus passes. everything else is at elborn!! elborn is also across the street from the western gym which was so convenient! other places across the street include 7/11, subway, schwarma place, froyo place. it's a great location if you ask me!

p.s. just wanted to clarify. the class average for "most" classes is low 80, but for anatomy I'd imagine it is lower. Cadaver anatomy is quite difficult as you can imagine, but only 1 person failed. They are still in the program however!

p.p.s. Western <3!!!

thank you!! you're making western sound AWESOME! :) <3

we don't arrange any placements ourselves (international included). the fieldwork coordinator does this, and she does a fine job!

re: snacks, 7/11 is across the street. many of us go there during breaks.

Your coordinator sounds awesome. I kept reading about how other schools have you contact the place and setup international placements from the start. It seemed really hard to do if you don't know where to start. No wonder you have so many people going!

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone who was accepted to Western - can you tell me the content that's inside the offer letter? I'm having difficulty finding my letter - apparently, it's supposed to be in my Student Centre but I can't seem to find it and I did not received it in email! I'm concerned about whether there are any due dates in there (e.g when to submit a police check, TB test, etc.)! Thanks so much!

To find the letter you login to student services and beside your OT offer on the right box is a link that says "view letters". It's in the boxes in the middle just after Accepeted Offer and the green circle. On the next link it will be named grad offer letter.

As for tests and vaccines, we will get an email late June detailing all of that. In July we get our class schedules. Orientation is September 3rd on Tuesday (right before my birthday:rolleyes:!) You need your final transcripts in by June 28th (I think) to ORPAS. I think that's all that is important.

You may as well start your police check now since it could take a couple weeks. It has to be done and picked up in your city of residence though, so if you are moving soon wait until then. I honestly waited not even 24 hours for mine in London last year, but maybe I was just lucky and on an off season. TB test you will need done as well. These all have to be done before the beginning of your January placements or they won't let you into the facility. If you go to the Weatern website on the OT pages there is a form from last year detailing placement guidelines. We will get all this information soon enough, so don't worry!

Archived