Premed 101 Forums

Interested in PT and OT in the USA

For whoever can help me,

There have been past posts talking somewhat about this, but not to the full extent. They are also outdated so I hope to get more recent information and feedback. So here goes:

I am a Canadian student living in Toronto and looking to apply to schools in Buffalo for DPT or even Masters in OT. My primary interest is D'Youville.

I just finished my undergraduate degree in Kinesiology and I applied this past year to the PT and OT programs in Ontario, but unfortunately was rejected from all. My GPA is lower than most here who have seemed to be accepted, but I hope it, along with my accumulated experience, will help me get into a US school.

I am looking to return to my current University in the Fall of 2013 for one year to take some more courses, some which may end up being prerequisites. I will be attending and taking courses under the non-degree status. From there I hope to apply for the following year to some programs such as DPT at D'Youville (in Fall 2014).

Now I am calling out to all past Canadian students who have either applied, accepted and done schooling in Buffalo, individuals (Canadian or Amercians) already graduated, or currently enrolled to help me out.

I am interested in any and all information about where to start with regards to applying and getting in. I am interested and hope my GPA is high enough to get considered and possibly accepted, but from experience what can all of you suggest? I would like to know how to figure out if my undergraduate courses would cover some of the required prerequisites. If not then I intend to take these courses this upcoming year and would like to know if they be considered as part of my application process or do they need to be completed before I apply.

Any information pointing me in the right direction to successfully apply for the programs would be great along with any other tips and advice. I was checking out programs at D'Youville, University of Buffalo, and Daemon amongst others.

Any feedback about the programs themselves would also be great, along with any recommendations and so forth.

I know most of you may say to contact the different departments directly, but I'm reaching out here to see if any of you have knowledge, information and past experience through this process.

I look forward to hearing from some of you.

Thanks in advance:)

Archived