Premed 101 Forums

Radiology Electives

Hey all,

Any tips to share on where to do Rads electives for clerkship? Right now, I don't have enough pre-Carms elective time to hit up everywhere that I would like to. I also want to include some family medicine electives in there to cater very honestly to my interest in it.

At UofT, is there a benefit to doing a specific hospital site: St. Michael's vs. Sunnybrook vs. UHN?

Bear in mind I am no stranger to the field of diagnostic imaging having trained as an X-ray Tech before med school, it's more a question of whether any of you have specific tips/advice on which schools are must have electives and which ones to not waste time at.

Thanks in advance for your time and 2 cents!

I would say do at least one cross-country/OOP to show that you are mobile (if you are). Otherwise, target the programs you are potentially most interested in - helps you make a more informed decision and should help strengthen your candidacy in most cases.

Hard to say more without knowing what you are looking for/interested in (geography, size of city/program, etc.). Not too familiar with UofT but hopefully others are.

Thanks Lactic Folly!

I'll lay out my cards, since I honestly have nothing to hide:

Top choices for rads: 1) Mac 2) UofT 3) Anywhere ON

Basically, I am more geography restricted than anything. That's not to say I am not mobile and I am really hoping to do an elective either in BC or Alberta if I can find the time in my elective schedule.

Thing with me is that I know beyond doubt I want rads, so there's no aspect of "choosing" a specialty to worry about. It's more finding the perfect fit and even then, I already love my home program.

Lactic Folly, are you open to me PMing you if I have questions over time?

1. Honestly, try to do electives at universities you are interested in for residency for 5 years

2. I would highly recommend an least elective in central/western provinces to show portability (will ensure maybe an extra interview or two, thats what you are hoping for preinterview anyways) - so pick one that you would actually like to potentially go to

3. Try not to split too much of your elective time in half and half, be slightly biased towards one or the other. I know of stories where splitting decision 50/50 will get you a ticket to round two... but it still depends on how well you can justify/articulate your interests

4. There is still no guarantee that if you do an elective at a school that you will get an interview. I have personally experienced that, I didnt get interviews at schools i did do an elective at for some and did get an interview for schools i did not do electives at... so not really sure how they decide

Archived