Premed 101 Forums

Any IMGs out there who did their IM training in US and have come back to Ontario?

Hey Guys,

I'm not an active poster but I follow these boards regularly

I'm an intern right now, doing my residency in IM in the US.

I've been looking at the various options for ultimately coming back to Ontario to practice

As I go through training here, a couple of decisions I'm trying to sort through are:

a) Do I choose to sub-specialize or not? From reading various posts and as well as looking on health force ontario, seems like tons of jobs for GIM, but it shrinks pretty fast among sub-specialties. Expected I guess, but didn't think it'd be that drastic. Then again, not sure how reliable HFO is when it comes to figuring out job availability for various specialties.

b)If I choose not to sub-specialize, then I'll be doing GIM.

I've tried to figure out the key differences between GIM in the Canada vs. US and more importantly, how does that translates into clinical practice in Ontario.

Still a work in progress on that front, to fully understand the consultant model

and figure out how prepared one would be coming out of a US IM residency (this is taking into account doing an additional year in the US for duration of training equivalency purposes)

Any IMGs out here who've done an IM residency in the US, and then transitioned to practice in Ontario (or anywhere in Canada)?

What was your journey like? How did you approach it?

Just curious to hear different ideas on this.

PS. Mods: Looking at this sub-forum, not sure if its strictly for those looking to do RESIDENCY in Canada? If it is, let me know where to move this to, thanks

Archived