Premed 101 Forums

Redoing MCAT

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to apply to some American schools this summer, however I am in the process of rewriting my MCAT. I understand that if I indicate that I am rewriting, then my application will not be looked at until my new scores are in. With that said, I was wondering if there is any benefit of completing my application before my scores are out anyways? Ideally I would like to focus on studying for my MCAT during this time but I don't want to miss out on any opportunity that may increase my chances of getting in.

thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to apply to some American schools this summer, however I am in the process of rewriting my MCAT. I understand that if I indicate that I am rewriting, then my application will not be looked at until my new scores are in. With that said, I was wondering if there is any benefit of completing my application before my scores are out anyways? Ideally I would like to focus on studying for my MCAT during this time but I don't want to miss out on any opportunity that may increase my chances of getting in.

thanks in advance!

I'm unsure about this, but they may verify your transcript if you submit earlier - this process takes much longer later in the cycle, so if you do it now, then your application will get to schools that much faster once your MCAT score is in. At the very least, get your references and transcripts going, so that you wont have to wait for those when your application is processed.

As for multiple attempts, that is dependent on your scores. If you have something less than a 32 or so, then your application benefits from a rewrite and schools won't have a problem with this. If, however, you rewrite a 36, schools tend to frown upon this, as you don't really look like a significantly better candidate and is a sign of hubris.

Archived