Premed 101 Forums

Non-degree holding admissions

Some schools will occasionally look differently at non-trads, and MUN's website indicates that may be the case there, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any cases where this had happened.

The site states "In exceptional circumstances an application may be considered from someone who does not expect to hold a bachelor’s degree at the time of admission. Such an applicant will have completed at least 60 credit hours including the prerequisite subjects of 6 credit hours in English at a recognized university or university college before admission and be a student who has work related or other experience acceptable to the Admissions Committee."

Now, if I'm reading that right, IF a student were to have "work or other related experience acceptable to the Admissions Committee" they could apply in their second year of undergrad.

I'm a non-trad so I am (hopefully) getting to med by way of a much less direct path with its own challenges.

So I'm wondering what that means to MUN. I initially took it to mean people who are, for instance, LPNs or paramedics; people with medically related work experience they have done for years. But now I don't know. It sounds as though life experience may count too. Given that my kids are growing fast and me being in school requires considerable sacrifice on the part of my family, we want to keep my years in school to a minimum. If I could get into MUN (being a PEI resident, MUN has considerable appeal) earlier, well, that'd be ideal.

I'm wondering if any of you know anyone who was considered under these exceptional circumstances and what sort of experiences they had that were acceptable to the committee.

Any clarification would be much appreciated. I will likely call them towards the end of the summer, but don't want to do that if it is highly unlikely I'd be considered at all.

Off the top of my head, I don't know any PEI applicants that got in without completing a degree though I may be gravely wrong and completely in the outfield! A lot do get in during fourth year though. It's probably something admissions would know about best though.. or they will give you an incredibly vague response, but you can always hope for the best! :)

I've actually asked about the non-degree exceptions and was told that you need to be really, really special for them to even consider this. I got the impression that they keep the regulation on the books just in case someone comes along who completely blows them out of the water. EMS and related experiences, while encouraged, are run of the mill for Canadian medical admissions (especially for non-sponsored OOP seats) and wouldnt necessarily make you stand out. What you CAN do is take heavy course loads every semester and courses over the summer, along with using any previous transfer credits to get out in 2-3 years. If you can do that and keep up a competitive GPA, you're set and you'd shave some time off.

As an aside, consider very carefully the pathway ahead of you, especially with children in the mix. If you get in on your first try with degree (and that is a big if), you are still looking at a minimum of 6 years to finish your dedicated medical training. Any kind of specialty is going to push that to or past a decade. There do seem to be some student parents who pull it off, but they seem to be a small minority, and it doesnt seem to be easy on them. Make sure you know what you're getting into (and that is advice I would give to anyone considering med school from the very beginning).

I myself applied to MUN in my third year of undergrad. I am a NL resident and I did not get an interview. Given that I applied, I was able to speak with admissions about why I was not selected. Essentially, they said I automatically went into the "exception" categeory and my MCAT score was far from perfect so I was overlooked. The competition is so tough and the vast majority of applicants have at least their undergrad. I was also told that they have only admitted one person without their degree in the past fifteen years. If you are serious about going to med school, apply! It can't hurt and you will be offered constructive criticism about how to improve if you are unsuccessful. Furthermore, persistence pays off. Good luck!

I've actually asked about the non-degree exceptions and was told that you need to be really, really special for them to even consider this. I got the impression that they keep the regulation on the books just in case someone comes along who completely blows them out of the water. EMS and related experiences, while encouraged, are run of the mill for Canadian medical admissions (especially for non-sponsored OOP seats) and wouldnt necessarily make you stand out. What you CAN do is take heavy course loads every semester and courses over the summer, along with using any previous transfer credits to get out in 2-3 years. If you can do that and keep up a competitive GPA, you're set and you'd shave some time off.

As an aside, consider very carefully the pathway ahead of you, especially with children in the mix. If you get in on your first try with degree (and that is a big if), you are still looking at a minimum of 6 years to finish your dedicated medical training. Any kind of specialty is going to push that to or past a decade. There do seem to be some student parents who pull it off, but they seem to be a small minority, and it doesnt seem to be easy on them. Make sure you know what you're getting into (and that is advice I would give to anyone considering med school from the very beginning).

I've given it many, many years of thought. I'm fortunate to be in a position where I have an incredibly supportive husband and family, but even so, I'm under no impression that this will be an easy process. I just wish to use any possible opportunity available to me to help make it a bit less difficult for the rest of my family.

I'm aware of the length of time necessary, and knew this from the outset. While I do appreciate the concern you've shown, please understand that this is not a path I undertook lightly without seriously considering the impact this will have on all of us and speaking to people who have done it themselves to understand where the pitfalls are most likely to be found.

I removed my additional information describing my activities, but they are not along the same lines as EMS or LPNs, that is just what I assumed the clause originally meant. My experiences are a different sort altogether and are not what most would see as commonplace.

I myself applied to MUN in my third year of undergrad. I am a NL resident and I did not get an interview. Given that I applied, I was able to speak with admissions about why I was not selected. Essentially, they said I automatically went into the "exception" categeory and my MCAT score was far from perfect so I was overlooked. The competition is so tough and the vast majority of applicants have at least their undergrad. I was also told that they have only admitted one person without their degree in the past fifteen years. If you are serious about going to med school, apply! It can't hurt and you will be offered constructive criticism about how to improve if you are unsuccessful. Furthermore, persistence pays off. Good luck!

Thank you, that is quite helpful. I'm writing the MCAT this summer and my score should be back before the application deadline, so that may turn out to be a deciding factor as to whether I submit an application or not this year. I'll be applying to four Ontario schools next year for sure, only because I didn't believe it would be possible to apply to MUN or Dal before my 4th year, so I'm viewing this more as a shot in the dark possibility; worth the application fee in the off chance it turns into something. I was just really curious as to whether it had happened and how that came about; interesting to see that it is so rare! Not unexpected, just interesting.

• 10 months later...

I posted this nearly a year ago, but wanted to update now that I'm in my application year. I have an appointment to discuss this with the admissions officer tomorrow and will add in here what she says for others' reference. All things being equal, I would much rather go to MUN than any other school but starting a year earlier is more important to my family than going to a specific school so I have to try my best and hopefully can help clarify this for future applicants.

I posted this nearly a year ago, but wanted to update now that I'm in my application year. I have an appointment to discuss this with the admissions officer tomorrow and will add in here what she says for others' reference. All things being equal, I would much rather go to MUN than any other school but starting a year earlier is more important to my family than going to a specific school so I have to try my best and hopefully can help clarify this for future applicants.

I have a feeling they'll let you apply. What application pool are you in if you don't mind me asking? You might have a shot at an interview if you are competing for NB (10 seats) or PEI (4 seats), but I wouldn't waste money on it if you are in the "other" category because the competition is too stiff. 200 applicants for 5 seats.

I have a feeling they'll let you apply. What application pool are you in if you don't mind me asking?

PEI. Only about 30-50 of us apply each year anyway. My GPA and MCAT (3.98 and 34 - 11-13-10) should not pose any issues, so it would be purely based on weather my experiences are enough.

PEI. Only about 30-50 of us apply each year anyway. My GPA and MCAT (3.98 and 34 - 11-13-10) should not pose any issues, so it would be purely based on weather my experiences are enough.

Yeah, I'd definitely go for it! Those are excellent stats! I'd be very surprised if you didn't get an interview. Pick yourself up a copy of Doing Right in the mean time. It's excellent for TaMMI.

I spoke with the admissions officer who is REALLY nice. She said what they are looking for under that is people who have experience that makes up for not having a degree. People with health care exposure, a breadth of life experience, high academics. She suggested I apply, so I'm going to. She also said it has been ten years since anyone was admitted under that policy so I'm not going to hold my breath over it, but hopefully I can at least get an interview.

I spoke with the admissions officer who is REALLY nice. She said what they are looking for under that is people who have experience that makes up for not having a degree. People with health care exposure, a breadth of life experience, high academics. She suggested I apply, so I'm going to. She also said it has been ten years since anyone was admitted under that policy so I'm not going to hold my breath over it, but hopefully I can at least get an interview.

Janet? Yeah, she's awesome. Best of luck! If you get an interview you will know mid october (I got my invite on october 11th). If you get accepted you will know in April. MUN switched things around so IP are notified in Feb now and OOP in April. Still not too bad a wait compared to other schools.

Janet? Yeah, she's awesome. Best of luck! If you get an interview you will know mid october (I got my invite on october 11th). If you get accepted you will know in April. MUN switched things around so IP are notified in Feb now and OOP in April. Still not too bad a wait compared to other schools.

Yes, I spoke with Janet. :)

I'd really love to attend MUN and was kind of sad about only applying to Ontario schools this cycle because I'd rather stay in Atlantic Canada. I wouldn't turn down an early acceptance to an Ontario school just to apply to MUN, but waiting another year to apply just for a chance at MUN seemed ill-advised. It is my top choice, though, so I'm really glad to have the chance to apply and it's nice to know I'll know about interviews in only five months!

Yes, I spoke with Janet. :)

I'd really love to attend MUN and was kind of sad about only applying to Ontario schools this cycle because I'd rather stay in Atlantic Canada. I wouldn't turn down an early acceptance to an Ontario school just to apply to MUN, but waiting another year to apply just for a chance at MUN seemed ill-advised. It is my top choice, though, so I'm really glad to have the chance to apply and it's nice to know I'll know about interviews in only five months!

One trick I learned is make sure you avail of the "extra info" section of the application. Not many people do and there is a ton of stuff you can put there.

One trick I learned is make sure you avail of the "extra info" section of the application. Not many people do and there is a ton of stuff you can put there.

Yup, that's what I plan to do. Most of what makes me stand out as an applicant doesn't fit under the typical headings. :)

Archived