Premed 101 Forums

Canadian applying to US

I am a Canadian applicant with a 3.68 GPA and 35 MCAT. My EC and interviewing skills are great so please focus on my stats and list.

Can someone please review my list and provide feedback?

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Boston University School of Medicine

Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine

Duke University School of Medicine

Emory University School of Medicine

Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth

George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci

Georgetown University School of Medicine

Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.

Michigan State University

Mount Sinai School of Medicine

Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicin

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien

SUNY Upstate Medical University

University of Connecticut School of Medicine

University of Hawaii John A. Burns Sch. of Med.

University of Kentucky College of Medicine

University of Maryland School of Medicine

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin

Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center

Wayne State University School of Medicine

Also, Eastern Virginia states "Only citizens and permanent residents of the United States may apply to this program" on AMCAS. I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. If a school says this on AMCAS, I shouldn't bother applying because I am not a US citizen or permanent resident?

Thank you.

definitely cross out Stanford, Dartmouth, and Chicago. Even Boston is pushing it. Otherwise, I'm not sure. I am planning to apply for these 4 so thats why I have an idea. Either redo MCAT for US schools or try to bring up the marks, mostly MCAT for the states. Apply a lot of places and hopefully you get in but it seems as though your stats are not super competitive.

Yep, need to be a US citizen for those

MSAR says that Keck accepts international students...just a very low percentage.

Edit: From the Keck website: "International applicants must hold a degree considered equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree as evaluated by the USC Office of Graduate and International Admissions."

MSAR says that Keck accepts international students...just a very low percentage.

Edit: From the Keck website: "International applicants must hold a degree considered equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree as evaluated by the USC Office of Graduate and International Admissions."

You're right, it's just that the percentage is low to the point that it's not really worth considering. As far as I'm aware, there isn't any anecdotal evidence of anyone on this forum getting interviewed/accepted there. I just think it would be in OPs interest not to waste time and money on a school that has such a minimal chance of acceptance.

You're right, it's just that the percentage is low to the point that it's not really worth considering. As far as I'm aware, there isn't any anecdotal evidence of anyone on this forum getting interviewed/accepted there. I just think it would be in OPs interest not to waste time and money on a school that has such a minimal chance of acceptance.

yep. fair enough. You're definitely right about that. I just think it was a little bit misleading the way you wrote it. Don't want other people to be misinformed. But it is essentially true that you must be a U.S. citizen to even be considered, based on their admission stats.

I just think it was a little bit misleading the way you wrote it. Don't want other people to be misinformed. But it is essentially true that you must be a U.S. citizen to even be considered, based on their admission stats.

Yeah I see your point. I find that quite a few schools are like that though - makes you wonder though why schools would even bother saying they're open to internationals.

definitely cross out Stanford, Dartmouth, and Chicago. Even Boston is pushing it. Otherwise, I'm not sure. I am planning to apply for these 4 so thats why I have an idea. Either redo MCAT for US schools or try to bring up the marks, mostly MCAT for the states. Apply a lot of places and hopefully you get in but it seems as though your stats are not super competitive.

I would still apply to Dartmouth and Boston. They are Canadian applicant friendly - or at least they used to be when I interviewed there with a similar GPA and much lower MCAT five years ago.

His/Her MCAT is really good. And 3.68 is an acceptable GPA. I would say that he/she should be able to secure an acceptance somewhere - assuming of course, decent extra-curriculars and volunteering experiences.

As for EVMS, contact them directly to find out if they do accept Canadians. I was accepted there four years ago, but of course things change. For example, UVM and Albany used to interview lots of Canadians, but now only accepts Americans.

Thank you very much. Since five years ago the GPA and MCAT requirements have increased significantly. That's why I fear not getting a single interview.

I would still apply to Dartmouth and Boston. They are Canadian applicant friendly - or at least they used to be when I interviewed there with a similar GPA and much lower MCAT five years ago.

His/Her MCAT is really good. And 3.68 is an acceptable GPA. I would say that he/she should be able to secure an acceptance somewhere - assuming of course, decent extra-curriculars and volunteering experiences.

As for EVMS, contact them directly to find out if they do accept Canadians. I was accepted there four years ago, but of course things change. For example, UVM and Albany used to interview lots of Canadians, but now only accepts Americans.

Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center: Not sure they accept Canadians.

University of Connecticut School of Medicine: This is a state school and even if they claim that they accept Canadians, I have a hard time believing you have a good chance of getting in. Also their class size is really small. I wouldn't apply.

Also, remember that Hawaii and Wayne are crazy expensive.

Thank you very much. Since five years ago the GPA and MCAT requirements have increased significantly. That's why I fear not getting a single interview.

I wouldn't say that's the case. I think generally things have stayed pretty steady stats-wise. I still think a 33 MCAT and ~3.70 GPA will get you in somewhere - just as it did for me when I applied four years ago.

You have good stats. Just apply very broadly. In other words, even if a school even takes only one international student per year, you should still apply there. You should not waste money unnecessarily, but you got to go all the way when applying to the US.

As for your list:

Also, include Tulane, Vandy, NYMC, FIU, UVA, Emory, Maryland, and Tufts to your list. Or at the very least, make sure that they haven't interviewed any Canadians in the past couple of years.

If you are an under-represented minority, for sure add Meharry, Howard, and Morehouse. If you happen to be a practicing Christian, add Loma Linda. And do not forget about the texas schools - even if they have a separate application process because some of them do interview Canadians and they offer very cheap tuition for OOSer's.

Archived