Premed 101 Forums

failing rotations in radiology

Hey Guys,

I just heard from some residents that people do fail rotations and need to do extra make up work. So my question for the Rads PGY1-5s is:

1) how often do people fail rotations?

2) what are some tough rotations that people fail?

3) how much make up time is usually required?

4) I just went to a graduation and everyone finished on time, how are people finishing if the have to do make up time?

5) what are the consequences? ie fail two and get held back a year? fail two and get kicked out? Did you guys get a syllabus when you started on expectations?

I think this question is quite program- and resident- dependent. Generally people who match successfully are already bright and motivated - combined with the excellent teaching, feedback, and supports in our program, this makes rotation failure extremely rare here.

Policies will be program- and school- dependent to some extent as well - you would have to complete the failed rotation successfully to proceed. Although people do write exams and graduate on time, they may stay a few months into the fall to make up the time - that may be what happened, although a certain amount of time may be forgiven as well (I have heard of this in cases of parental/personal leave, not failure).

All programs have rotation objectives as per Royal College accreditation requirements. All schools also have guidelines for remediation and failure, but hopefully you will never need to become familiar with them. If you're not getting adequate feedback, you must seek it out.

Archived