Premed 101 Forums

MSc Student: 3.79 cGPA, 3.86 sGPA, 36R MCAT

You have a great chance - you can definitely aim higher, while still holding onto your safeties. Albany is only for US citizens, and UPenn is only marginally better, so I think you can replace it with other top tiers.

Take out high school awards, you have plenty of more recent things to talk about.

Also, quality over quantity. Unless you had some significant epiphany in those 5 hours of science outreach with kids, I'd take it out. Makes you look desperate.

You have a great chance - you can definitely aim higher, while still holding onto your safeties. Albany only for US citizens, and UPenn is only marginally better, so i think you can replace it with other top tiers.

Take out high school awards, you have plenty of more recent things to talk about.

Also, quality over quantity. Unless you had some significant epiphany in those 5 hours of science outreach with kids, I'd take it out. Makes you look desperate.

Thanks, that's a relief to hear!

I don't think Albany Medical College is only for US applicants, as one of my Canadian friends with similar stats was just admitted into it, and their website says: "Successful completion of a minimum three years college work (90 semester hours or 135 quarter hours of credit) completed in an accredited college or university, preferably in this country or Canada.". I think it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the heads up about UPENN, I was recommended it by a friend, but after looking at the site it seems they want international applicants to have completed a year of education in the States before applying.

If I wanted to add 3 top tier schools to my list, what would you guys recommend (taking into account my stats)?

Thanks, that's a relief to hear!

I don't think Albany Medical College is only for US applicants, as one of my Canadian friends with similar stats was just admitted into it, and their website says: "Successful completion of a minimum three years college work (90 semester hours or 135 quarter hours of credit) completed in an accredited college or university, preferably in this country or Canada.". I think it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the heads up about UPENN, I was recommended it by a friend, but after looking at the site it seems they want international applicants to have completed a year of education in the States before applying.

If I wanted to add 3 top tier schools to my list, what would you guys recommend (taking into account my stats)?

I'd recommend Yale and Vanderbilt (both very Canadian-friendly), and I think you have a decent chance at getting interviews there.

I emailed Albany and they said they do NOT accept Canadians. Perhaps you can email them as well and get back to us? I did not see that on the website

The quote I found was under the "Requirements for Admission" section at this link: http://www.amc.edu/Academic/Undergraduate_Admissions/index.cfm

I'll double-check with my friend to make sure he wasn't born in the US or something, but I'm positive he completed his undergraduate education in Canada at the same school as me.

I'll also e-mail the school to confirm.

albany has stopped taking in the last 2-3 yrs

I spoke to my friend, it turns out he was born in the States and is therefore a citizen by birthright, so I guess that explains how he was accepted there this year despite doing his undergraduate education in Canada.

Thank you everyone for the heads up on both these schools I was mistakenly applying to!

Archived