Premed 101 Forums

Admission to French Universities

Kind of confused about how things work on the French side.. would someone with say a BA Poli Sci (GPA 3.8) and 85 avg in pre-reqs have a chance at admission at Laval, Sherbrooke or UdeM?

If not, how could they improve their chances? Would taking the MCAT count for anything?

Kind of confused about how things work on the French side.. would someone with say a BA Poli Sci (GPA 3.8) and 85 avg in pre-reqs have a chance at admission at Laval, Sherbrooke or UdeM?

If not, how could they improve their chances? Would taking the MCAT count for anything?

They don't care about MCAT

By Poli sci you mean political science ? If so 3.8 isn't enought for UdeM and ULaval for sure. Since they weight programs. A 3.8 in pharmacy is way better than a 3.8 in biology...

Also you have to be able to do your MMI in french..

MCAT is meaningless as are ECs. Check somewhere in Lavalin thread for the link to find out how your studies are rated. It is both what your program is, how hard in relation to other programs and how you did in your program in relation to your peers. If you did not go to a French h.s., you will need to attain very high marks in a written French test for grammer.

And all studies and exams are in French.

That's what I got out of it too.. but I read the table on Laval's website and the maximum Cote R you can get with Political Science (gpa of A+) is something around 30.** and from what I saw you need at least a 33 cote R to have any chance..

So does that mean that with that specific degree, regardless of what you get you cannot even make the cut-offs?

Also, I understand the French requirements, it's just the entrance that scares me a little. It's got me thinking about switching my major JUST to make the cut-offs.

That's what I got out of it too.. but I read the table on Laval's website and the maximum Cote R you can get with Political Science (gpa of A+) is something around 30.** and from what I saw you need at least a 33 cote R to have any chance..

33 is for cegep. At Ulaval it is 32 and UdM 32-33

So does that mean that with that specific degree, regardless of what you get you cannot even make the cut-offs?

Yeah 4.0/4.0 won't even get you an interviewà

Also, I understand the French requirements, it's just the entrance that scares me a little. It's got me thinking about switching my major JUST to make the cut-offs.

Entrance in french school are pretty straight forward. About 50% marks 50% MMI ( UdS does a little admission test)...You should really change major if you are end goal is medicine.

Entrance in french school are pretty straight forward. About 50% marks 50% MMI ( UdS does a little admission test)...You should really change major if you are end goal is medicine.

Oh man, I'm due to start Poli Sci in September at Concordia.. Will transferring into a different program after the first semester affect my admission?

Also, around what marks would be acceptable for the pre-reqs?

Check out Exercise Science @ Concordia. a1b1 followed by advice and just got into Sherby as a straight A student which requires tremendous effort. I too got into a French school from there, as have others. The program is described in my thread, the link of which is found in the second link in my signature below. You need to go through the posts in the thread. If you work very very hard and become a straight A student like us, your place in a French med school is assured. :P

Oh man, I'm due to start Poli Sci in September at Concordia.. Will transferring into a different program after the first semester affect my admission?

Also, around what marks would be acceptable for the pre-reqs?

The Cegep marks become irrelevant applying as a universitaire.

If you are only able to transfer in winter semester, as I see it, you will lose a year, in which case better to work for a year and start fresh next year. You would miss required courses over the 3 years unless you were allowed to substitued them as electives.

I strongly suggest you speak with the Dept at Concordia asap to obtain the feedback you need to save yourself a year. Also, if you took kin at UdeM, I am assuming (but do not know for sure) it will have a high score plus you get a bonus in the admission process for acceptance into UdeM.

The devil in is the details when it comes ot making strategic and tactical decisions that affect your future.

Archived