Premed 101 Forums

how many hours to study if taking PR course?

Guest citrinez

Guest citrinez

Hi,

I'm seriously considering taking the PR prep course this summer starting in May for the August MCAT. The course is offerred Monday-Thursday from 9-1130am or from 6-930pm. I'm curious to know from those of you who have taken the PR course, how many hours per day of study are required to complete all of the work that they assign? Also, did any of you find that taking the morning or evening section allowed you more time to study ( I realize that is relative to your schedules...but in a general sense)?

Note:

I'm really hope to get the MCAT over in one shot, so I only intend to work about 15 hrs per week, and volunteer for about 5 hrs per week.

And one more thing, were the 5 practice tests enough practice for the MCAT or should I purchase additional tests? or individual practice sections?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I took the PR course a while back and found that it was useful to review the lectures before class. Then, when you're in class you can use that time to fine-tune your knowledge as opposed to encountering it anew. It's also essential to practice passages from all sections (and the Writing Sample) on your own time. The PR folks will give you plenty of material from all sections to all you to do so. So although class may take up 3 hours per day for a few days a week, I'd say that most folks spend more than that to prepare to do well on the exam.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

One more thing: if you feel the need to do more PR full-length exams, they will provide more from their exam bank for you. (They have well more than five in that bank.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

how many hours? - as many as YOU need!

I did the same PR course, may to aug. I took the morning classes because I knew I'd waste my day by waking up at 2pm if I hadn't. I volunteered about 10hrs/week while taking the prep course.

I didn't really start studying on my own time until the end of June. I went through all the material PR gave (it was quite a bit). I also bought the Kaplan comprehensive review and Examkrackers 101 VR passages.

You have to see what works for you and how much preparation you require. Everyone is different. Some people study for months and get average results whereas others study for 2 weeks and get exceptional results. After doing a practice test, you'll be able to gauge where you are and how much effort you need to put in. Good luck!

Madz

Archived