Premed 101 Forums

NSERC with a low GPA?

dr-m-s

I know this is a bit of an idealistic, or even an unrealistic thought, but does anyone know of someone who has gotten an NSERC award with a B+ CGPA?

Yes, I have seen a few. Depends a lot on your departmental quotas and the applicant pool. In my department, it matters more that you have a prof that is willing to vouch for you (within reason, B+ would be about the minimum).

I know this is a bit of an idealistic, or even an unrealistic thought, but does anyone know of someone who has gotten an NSERC award with a B+ CGPA?

It depends on the school and the competition that year. I got an NSERC with a cGPA of ~3.6, but the most recent year I had was >3.8. I'm really not sure how they ranked it whether it was based on cGPA or most recent year. However, there also happened to be many awards available that year. As long as you secure a professor, I really think you should apply! you really never know. I didn't think I would get it but I did even with a sub-average GPA.

It depends on the school and the competition that year. I got an NSERC with a cGPA of ~3.6, but the most recent year I had was >3.8. I'm really not sure how they ranked it whether it was based on cGPA or most recent year. However, there also happened to be many awards available that year. As long as you secure a professor, I really think you should apply! you really never know. I didn't think I would get it but I did even with a sub-average GPA.

We mostly look at recent (last year or two max) when considering NSERC students.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived