Premed 101 Forums

prep courses or self study?

Guest xylem33

Guest xylem33

which is better? I've been told by some that the course was helpful and others say they studied themselves and did fine. Is it worth the $$? How difficult will it be to study on your own??

The best choice is: whatever works best for YOU. Do you learn better by yourself or in a classroom setting?

This topic has been discussed several times. I suggest you try searching through old posts.

Madz

Guest xylem33

i anticipated that but i searched and nothing came up other than - the 2.5-3 months prep thread which is a couple below this one!

i study better alone - but i heard the prep courses in class time is a waste anyway - it was their prep books and exams that were good - just wanted to know if these prep books were necessary

Guest geekpunk

The prep books and practice exams are absolutely necessary whether you decide to self-study or take the class.

Studying from textbooks would be overkill. They might be useful to re-inforce some difficult topics but you absolutely need to have the prep books/practice exams.

The in-class instruction is mediocre at best (at most places, some people I know have had great teachers though). But from my experience, the class does provide you with a "support group" and really structures everything out for you.

Archived