Premed 101 Forums

NURSING - second undergrad

nem90

I did a BA in psych and attempted a degree in nursing.

The coursework: its not difficult, just time consuming. The most difficult thing I found was the hospital placement. So long as you realize you can never bathe a patient via bed bath to the level of cleanliness the patient could him or herself with a tub/shower (health permitting), you're good. Clinical instructors value speed and efficiency, not perfection. That's something I couldn't do. Even so, failing out of nursing school isn't the end of the world: I did get into med. Ironically, the hospitalist I chatted with while charting flunked out of the same nursing school and made it through med. She gave me the same advice I'm giving you: never tell your nursing instructors you're interested in med.

I did a BA in psych and attempted a degree in nursing.

The coursework: its not difficult, just time consuming. The most difficult thing I found was the hospital placement. So long as you realize you can never bathe a patient via bed bath to the level of cleanliness the patient could him or herself with a tub/shower (health permitting), you're good. Clinical instructors value speed and efficiency, not perfection. That's something I couldn't do. Even so, failing out of nursing school isn't the end of the world: I did get into med. Ironically, the hospitalist I chatted with while charting flunked out of the same nursing school and made it through med. She gave me the same advice I'm giving you: never tell your nursing instructors you're interested in med.

Sorry, just wanted to clarify, what do you mean by flunking/failing out?

How was your GPA in your second undergrad compared to your first?

I failed because I did not "meet the standards" in my second clinical course of my first year. In clinical, I didn't have what it took to juggle patients' meds, charting, and hygiene. I also didn't have the support of my nursing instructor as soon as I told her my summer plans were to study for the MCAT.

I had a 91% average in my nursing program. You see, the grading for clinical courses were satisfactory(S)/unsatisfactory(U). I had a "U" on my transcript next to that course. The rest of the courses were graded on a percentage basis, so, no apparently no foul as far as med admissions was concerned.

I couldn't progress further in the program without that clinical course, and because it would have been another 8 months before I could attempt it again, I opted to do a BSc in physiology.

Archived