Premed 101 Forums

MCAT prep class question

Guest SherriONT

Guest SherriONT

I'm sure this has been asked before, but...

I'm writing the MCAT in April 06 and have noticed that the Kaplan course offers significantly fewer classes than Princeton Review. I'll be taking a full course load next semester, so I'm inclined to opt for the lighter class schedule. My question is this: Does more in-class time means less at-home studying (in the case of PR)? Or does the Kaplan course, with fewer scheduled classes, require you to study on your own time moreso than PR?

Also, any thoughts on writing the MCAT in april while taking a full courseload?

Guest Jeesing

I took the Kaplan courses and i personally did not find the classes too helpful. They can help you brush up on subjects you havent taken for awhile or havent taken at all, but i found it easier to just study by myself. They emphasized their strategy more than subject material. i found the classes to be more of a distraction because i could study better myself with the material.

I also took the April MCAT in 2005 while taking a full course load and it was very tough studying for exams and the MCAT. I did a little bit worse than in my august 2004 MCAT. I was also preparing for an interview so that cut into a fair bit of time as well. Id suggest it only if you think you have enough time to devote to the MCAT and your classes.

Guest Elaine I

I took the PR course, which was great for me since it had been 9-10 years since I had taken basic science courses, and I had never completed physics other than one year in high school in the early 90's.

For me, the PR course offered a few advantages:

- Comprehensive review, and some teaching, of all material required

- Schedule! I took the course and wrote the MCAT while taking 8.0 courses at university and working two jobs - one full time and one part time. Given my heavy workload (plus significant volunteering), I appreciated having a schedule to keep on track.

- Support from other people writing the exam. I graduated from Ryerson, in a program where I was the only one considering medicine. Therefore, I didn't know anyone from school preparing for the exam. Ironically, I met a co-worker in my first PR class, so we joined forces studying.

- Five full-length exams, in semi-realistic settings, or at least properly timed.

The PR course will only give you what you put in. There is significant amount of homework to be completed. The way to get the most out of the course was to pre-read, attend all classes, and then do all homework. Doing so was a huge time commitment; however, without doing so, you won't get near as much of a benefit from the course.

For me, I'm glad I took the PR course. If, however, I don't get in this year, and decide to write the exam again (cringe!!), I will probably not re-take a course, but instead by the EK books to study from. (I used the EK VR101 book, and found it very helpful.) That said, the course was very helpful for me, and I'm glad I took it.

(I can't comment on the Kaplan course, as all I know if it is what I've read on this website.)

Elaine

Archived