Premed 101 Forums

Sports medicine

W0rm

Hi all,

Second year med student here with a few questions about the +1 year in sports and exercise medicine.

-how competitive are these +1 years?

-I've talked to one program director, and she said that you only get funding (PGY3 salary), if you enter their program right after finishing your FM residency. Is this the norm with other programs as well?

-does anyone have a recent list of contacts/elective opportunities in sports medicine, or does anyone have recent experiences they'd like to share? I've already tried emailing the program directors that are listed on the CASM website, but that hasn't been as fruitful as I'd have hoped?

-what is the remuneration like? I am assuming that most will just open their own clinic, and many will still incorporate FM, EM etc into their practice, so this may be highly variable. I'm more interested in what the billings are like, and what the demand for their services is like. I always hate asking money questions, but it's definitely important to know.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Second year med student here with a few questions about the +1 year in sports and exercise medicine.

-how competitive are these +1 years?

-I've talked to one program director, and she said that you only get funding (PGY3 salary), if you enter their program right after finishing your FM residency. Is this the norm with other programs as well?

-does anyone have a recent list of contacts/elective opportunities in sports medicine, or does anyone have recent experiences they'd like to share? I've already tried emailing the program directors that are listed on the CASM website, but that hasn't been as fruitful as I'd have hoped?

-what is the remuneration like? I am assuming that most will just open their own clinic, and many will still incorporate FM, EM etc into their practice, so this may be highly variable. I'm more interested in what the billings are like, and what the demand for their services is like. I always hate asking money questions, but it's definitely important to know.

Thanks in advance!

First of all, I think as a 2nd year med student it is a little bit too early to get overly concerned with the +1 in sports medicine...

There are very few people who do strictly sports medicine... as you mentioned most will continue to incorporate either FM or emerg into their practice...

In terms of billing, I don't think it is any more lucrative than a regular family practice or walk-in setting... I can't comment on specific contracts when working with sports teams, but there is a big time commitment and probably many unpaid hours.

The competitiveness of the program is dependent on the interest in any given year. However, most programs only have 1-2 spots per year, so it can be quite competitive.

If you really want to do sports medicine, you don't really need the fellowship... You can challenge the exam after 2 years of practice and a certain number of hours working with teams.

In terms of elective opportunities as a medical student, there are lots of interesting places to go... specifically Fowler-Kennedy at UWO is big one... and surely there are great opportunities south of the border where university sports are significantly bigger than they are in Canada.

• 1 year later...

Archived