Premed 101 Forums

Feeling a bit insecure

Hi everyone,

So, I graduated from a US medical school and am starting a family med residency in Canada. I did pretty well down in the States and actually did pretty well on my Step exams. But here in Canada, I feel pretty inadequate. I feel like the Canadian med school residents all seem to know quite a bit about family medicine, whilst I feel like I'm way, way behind.

Any other US med school grads who felt the same way upon returning to Canada for residency?

Hi everyone,

So, I graduated from a US medical school and am starting a family med residency in Canada. I did pretty well down in the States and actually did pretty well on my Step exams. But here in Canada, I feel pretty inadequate. I feel like the Canadian med school residents all seem to know quite a bit about family medicine, whilst I feel like I'm way, way behind.

Any other US med school grads who felt the same way upon returning to Canada for residency?

I think it's normal since the curriculum is different.

You will probably catch up quickly, you just need to identify your areas of weakness. Speak to your program director if you feel like you are falling too far behind -- There is no shame in asking for help, and most programs will do what it takes to help their residents succeed.

That being said, there are a couple of US grads in my program who seem to be doing just fine, so it may also be just getting used to life as a resident.

Archived