Premed 101 Forums

Dilemma! write MCAT or not?

Dannn

Hi guys,

I need serious advice regarding my situation. My MCAT date is in 4 days, and this is my second time writing it. I recently completed a second degree with a stellar gpa (close to 4), which is a bit assuring, considering my gpa in the first degree was close to a low 3. My problem is that I am not sure if I should take the MCAT 3 days later from today. My first score was 23 or 24, I think, so I decided to do it again this summer. But, due to a personal relationship problem that I had this summer, I lost track of studying during the last month and a half; I kind of went into "gave up" mode and ended up studying less and less as time went by since July. What is bothering me now is that if I score over 7 in verbal this time, I may be able to apply to UBC, but I am not sure if I can score above 7 this time. I scored a 6 last time. Should I take it this time, hoping I score over 7 or write it when I feel ready and wait for another year, which I would really want to avoid. Also, does it matter if it says I've written it 3 times?; do medical schools in Canada and the US look at this and raise a red flag?? I'd appreciate it if you guys could offer sincere suggestions/advice. Thanks.

Hi guys,

I need serious advice regarding my situation. My MCAT date is in 4 days, and this is my second time writing it. I recently completed a second degree with a stellar gpa (close to 4), which is a bit assuring, considering my gpa in the first degree was close to a low 3. My problem is that I am not sure if I should take the MCAT 3 days later from today. My first score was 23 or 24, I think, so I decided to do it again this summer. But, due to a personal relationship problem that I had this summer, I lost track of studying during the last month and a half; I kind of went into "gave up" mode and ended up studying less and less as time went by since July. What is bothering me now is that if I score over 7 in verbal this time, I may be able to apply to UBC, but I am not sure if I can score above 7 this time. I scored a 6 last time. Should I take it this time, hoping I score over 7 or write it when I feel ready and wait for another year, which I would really want to avoid. Also, does it matter if it says I've written it 3 times?; do medical schools in Canada and the US look at this and raise a red flag?? I'd appreciate it if you guys could offer sincere suggestions/advice. Thanks.

I suggest you do AAMC practice tests (at least 2) before your exam date. See where you stand, if you get below a 30 consistently, you probably might not want to write this summer. If you can pull above a 30, then go for it. I hope this helps, good luck!

Archived