Premed 101 Forums

Anyone who has/is writing more than once:

Guest circusgirl

Guest circusgirl

Hi everyone,

Has anyone here written the MCAT more than once? I am writing for my 2nd time this August (after having missed the cutoffs by very little) and was wondering how you studied or are studying differently the second time around, how you kept the motivation up, etc.

I for one am finding it hard to study because all my prep materials are the same (and am not in the position to shell out more $ for the materials), so I'm more prone to a) knowing the questions they ask, or at least somewhat remember the passages, and B) skimming over material I probably don't know as well as I should because "I've read this exact same thing before". And plus the fact that I'm making the second summer in a row mucho @#%$ and having to TELL everyone that I'm writing again because I didn't do well the first time is a whole new ballgame of mental and emotional stress!

THANKS!

circusgirl

Guest MD Hammer

I am one of those epic people who wrote the CAT three times - to incrementally increase my verbal score for cut-offs! My score really didn't change from the first time to the second time as I felt a bit cocky that I had already studied the material so extensively the previous summer, there was no need to go over everything in detail. I skipped certain chapters and questions - not a good idea! My practice scores were essentially the same and as a result, my MCAT stayed at its 29T.

Third time around, I meant business. I didn't go to the PR classes or exams - personally, didn't find they merited the time they required. I went through all the questions in the new PR books, re-read all the chapters in the manuals. Bought as many extra practice tests as possible from Kaplan and spent the last few weeks doing a full examination every other day, reviewing mistakes and ways to improve on the alternate days. Finally got my 9 in verbal and a 32 overall and going to Queen's this fall.

In the end, I think building endurance and familiarity with questions is the best way to improve. I am not one of those people that have standardized testing come naturally - so, I think I have to practice these things more than the average person.

Don't give up, don't get cocky - that's the best multiple attempt advice I can give you!

Good luck -

Hammer

Archived