Premed 101 Forums

Should I rewrite the MCAT?

wrongtubes

Hey everyone,

Need your advice on something. So I wrote the MCAT last week for the first time. For some reason I got super stressed out during the first section, forgot everything and ended up guessing on a lot of the questions. I can't see myself getting more than a 7 or an 8 on PS. As for the other two sections I think I did pretty well. I won't get my scores back until September 10th. I'm not sure if I should rewrite it at the end of August, that way the new scores would count towards this year's application. However schools like U of T, McMaster and Western all take your most recent MCAT score, so I'm a little worried that if I write it again, I may not score as well on Verbal or Bio. I just wish that I could see my scores now, that way I could decide, but now I'm stuck trying to make a decision without knowing my scores.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Go with your gut.

I humbly disagree.

I wrote Aug 17 last year and felt the same way (specifically about PS). At first it seemed good but then I started flagging more and more questions and ended up answering 8 questions in the last five minutes (mostly in separate sections). I ran out of time on my very last question, which was a dimensional analysis question that should have been an easy mark.

Long story short: I tried to rewrite in September but couldn't get a seat anywhere. When I got my scores back I had gotten a 12 in PS.

I didn't say your gut! ;)

I guess I just wanted to show how going against your gut could also work out to your favour. Although I don't want to bear any responsibility if it doesn't work out (unless of course you need an anonymous person to blame :) )... So I may have to change my advice to:

Go with your gut.

Thanks for the help guys!

I'm pretty sure I didn't get a 12 on PS. There were 2 passages which I did not understand at all and I guessed on almost every question and there were maybe 4 other questions that I guessed on. It's a tough call... Just wish I could see my score now to know whether I should rewrite or not. When is the last day to write the MCAT to be considered for the applications this year? I'm guessing it would have to be Sept 1, since applications are due on October 1st, or do they give you some leeway?

For Ontario schools you need to have written before the application deadline (i.e. Oct. 1). The scores need to be released by November 1. If you want to rewrite and can get a seat, any remaining test date in 2014 will be valid for Ontario. I think the other schools have different rules (I'm pretty sure UBC requires scores to be released by the application deadline, not sure about the rest).

I was averaging 9 on all my practice aamc tests for PS, rushed through the last 2 passages on the actual exam in 4 minutes AND missed 4-6 questions because I ran out of time, and still scored a 10 on ps (better than all my practice tests). Just hang in there and wait till your score comes out, forget about it for now or keep studying if you really want to rewrite.

Archived