Premed 101 Forums

Verbal Reasoning & Essay...August '05

Guest Jixe

Guest Jixe

Any tips on VR? I'm going through the EK 101 Passages and a few AAMC passages, but manage to consistently get 1-2 wrong on each passage. Any very specific tips? Just keep practicing?

As well, what about the essay? I have yet to prepare for that. I figure, as long as I answer the task questions, I'll get a median grade. Use some big words, be coherent and add a few quotes, and I'm good to go for Queen's/Western's writing cut-off...or no?

Finally, has anyone been successful with a super compacted study for the MCAT? I can honestly say I've only really started studying for the past 5 days. The month of June was just reading over the Kaplan MCAT Comprehensive Review. I'm putting in about 10 hours/day now...just curious if it worked out in the end for whoever attempted the same.

As well, if anyone has the Kaplan MCAT Comprehensive Review, did anyone find the practice questions inbetween the various review sections, pretty touch? I found 5R much much easier than those samples.

Guest eager2bdoc

where did u get the verbal Exam craker from? ebay or amazon? did it take 3-5 weeks for shipping? is it helpful so far? do u know anyone who is selling their's Verbal exam kracker?

thanks....

Guest blinknoodle

I was working full-time the summer I took the MCAT, but was able to take a week off before the test which was when I finally cracked open my MCAT books and practice questions. (I had been brushing up on my current events earlier in the summer). This worked out fine for me since I only had to review the majority of the material because I had taken previous courses. So if you are doing 10 hours a day for over a month, I'd be impressed if you could keep up your stamina (and sanity)!!

Study smarter, not harder!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HenryTheBig

I have to say blinknoodle that I'm very impressed. I could never work full time and study for the mcat. You must be quite the multi-tasker. To jix, it really depends on how you study. I know people who can basically walk into the mcat and have done maybe only 2 practise tests and they will make all the cutoffs. However, I myself would need some concentrated studying to increase my verbal scores. If your verbal is strong, then you can save yourself tons of studying. Verbal takes a long time to develop.

Henner

Archived