Premed 101 Forums

How to tackle really convoluted VR passages?

farmin

Whenever I get one of these it eats up around 14~16min of my time and my timing gets thrown off. But if I don't read it then I probably will lose 5~6 points. So that pretty much leads me to the idea that I need a different way of approaching convoluted passages that I just don't understand. How do you deal with these passages?

So far I've tried:

1.skimming the passage just to get a general idea, answering questions based purely on referring back to the passage (did not work)

2.reading everything in close detail and trying to understand the passage and then answer the questions (takes 14~16min)

Reason why I'm bringing this up is also b/c on my previous MCAT last year there was 1 hard passage that was insanely convoluted. I spent so much time on it that I ran out of time for another passage and had to guess. Also, I just took AAMC6 yesterday (the old retired paper one) and got annihilated on VR! Every other AAMC I've taken has been 11 (and once 10) on VR. But this AAMC6 wow I got entire passages wrong. There was an entire passage that I couldn't figure out even after reading the answers.

Whenever I get one of these it eats up around 14~16min of my time and my timing gets thrown off. But if I don't read it then I probably will lose 5~6 points. So that pretty much leads me to the idea that I need a different way of approaching convoluted passages that I just don't understand. How do you deal with these passages?

So far I've tried:

1.skimming the passage just to get a general idea, answering questions based purely on referring back to the passage (did not work)

2.reading everything in close detail and trying to understand the passage and then answer the questions (takes 14~16min)

Reason why I'm bringing this up is also b/c on my previous MCAT last year there was 1 hard passage that was insanely convoluted. I spent so much time on it that I ran out of time for another passage and had to guess. Also, I just took AAMC6 yesterday (the old retired paper one) and got annihilated on VR! Every other AAMC I've taken has been 11 (and once 10) on VR. But this AAMC6 wow I got entire passages wrong. There was an entire passage that I couldn't figure out even after reading the answers.

What are you doing on regular passages that are not convoluted? Are you doing technique #1 or #2? and how long does it take you to do each non-convulated passage using those techniques. Let's start there.

Usually I just read then answer questions. Often I need to check details/find a quote/reread a bit but I still finish on time. So #2. Takes me a little over 8min per passage. I finish practice tests on time though.

Do you highlight the convoluted passages or the other passages normally?

I never highlight. Instead if there's a name then I say the name and I remember where it is afterwards. I time myself often though. I check the time once b4 I read a passage and once after I finish the passage and begin answering questions. It's often reading the passage that's the longest for me, around 4-5min and answering questions is 4-3min. Also on convoluted passages I re-read a lot. Usually what happens is i try to read normally, I didn't understand a few sentences, I re-read it, repeat until I see my timing is off, then I scanning the passage line by line instead of reading. Afterwards When I answer questions I refer back more often than usual, sometimes I have to re-read entire paragraphs (which really only take ~20sec the 2nd time around). I don't usually try to actively focus on a main idea for convoluted or non-convoluted passages. I don't focus on the authors argument or how they structure their passage/argument. I just try to absorb everything. I'm usually very good at knowing where the needed info/word is exactly. But with the convoluted passages sometimes I don't even remember seeing the phrase/idea (not just words) at all. I feel like these passages are so different from the other ones that I need to have a different way of tackling them. Also, theres no particular field I find hard or easy, like sometimes I struggle with science passages sometimes with humanities or natural science.

I never highlight. Instead if there's a name then I say the name and I remember where it is afterwards. I time myself often though. I check the time once b4 I read a passage and once after I finish the passage and begin answering questions. It's often reading the passage that's the longest for me, around 4-5min and answering questions is 4-3min. Also on convoluted passages I re-read a lot. Usually what happens is i try to read normally, I didn't understand a few sentences, I re-read it, repeat until I see my timing is off, then I scanning the passage line by line instead of reading. Afterwards When I answer questions I refer back more often than usual, sometimes I have to re-read entire paragraphs (which really only take ~20sec the 2nd time around). I don't usually try to actively focus on a main idea for convoluted or non-convoluted passages. I don't focus on the authors argument or how they structure their passage/argument. I just try to absorb everything. I'm usually very good at knowing where the needed info/word is exactly. But with the convoluted passages sometimes I don't even remember seeing the phrase/idea (not just words) at all. I feel like these passages are so different from the other ones that I need to have a different way of tackling them. Also, theres no particular field I find hard or easy, like sometimes I struggle with science passages sometimes with humanities or natural science.

According to what you said:

"But with the convoluted passages sometimes I don't even remember seeing the phrase/idea (not just words) at all."

I would try reading the first paragraph and if you feel it'll be a convoluted passage then move on and save it for last. When you eventually attempt that passage, go highlight the key "idea"/"theme" of EACH paragraph so it'll help you remember where everything is. Only highlight for the convoluted passage since your strategy seams to work for you. I have pretty much the same strategy for the VR as you (like 95% the same) btw. I hope this helps, good luck :)

Archived