Premed 101 Forums

shadowing

Hey everyone, I was just wondering where I should put the following activities

1. observership program (i.e shadowing a doctor)

2. laboratory shadowing

for my laboratory shadowing I tried to put it under research but it asks for type of publication... so then i decided to put it in the "other"section.. however this section does not have a section for number of hours.. or a description..

thanks

when i was applying for my masters I found a professor who was interested in taking me on as a grad student... so he flew me over (as this was in a diff province) for a week and I shadowed all the lab members, and also gave a presentation regarding the research i was currently working on as a undergrad..

it was a week full time.. you think i shouldnt claim it for my med application?

If you learned something worthwhile? I wouldn't necessarily put it (but I'm still applying myself), so it is just my two cents.

when i was applying for my masters I found a professor who was interested in taking me on as a grad student... so he flew me over (as this was in a diff province) for a week and I shadowed all the lab members, and also gave a presentation regarding the research i was currently working on as a undergrad..

it was a week full time.. you think i shouldnt claim it for my med application?

I wouldnt list it as you never did recieve the award. Just my two cents, and yes i would include marathon running

I definitely disagree with this. Being selected to receive one of these awards is a big accomplishment, and the fact that you declined it to pursue other opportunities doesn't make it any less impressive. Just make sure you clearly indicate that you declined the award and there should be no problems.

For what it's worth, I declined both NSERC and OGS and included both of these in my ABS, and I got interviews at all four schools I applied to. Based on that I would say that including them can't hurt your application; I think it's very likely to make your application stronger overall.

EDIT: for clarity, I just checked my ABS from last year and I had listed it as "OGS (Declined)" in the title and then filled out the rest of the sections normally.

What do you think about listing under awards those grants students get from OSAP... (the money you dont have to pay back OSAP - they turn it into a grant)... but i think its based on financial need, not marks...

anyways i know a couple applicants who listed this on their application.

what do you guys think?

What do you think about listing under awards those grants students get from OSAP... (the money you dont have to pay back OSAP - they turn it into a grant)... but i think its based on financial need, not marks...

anyways i know a couple applicants who listed this on their application.

what do you guys think?

If it's the QEII Scholarship (which is based on both financial need and academic performance), then include it... otherwise don't include it. Basically only include any scholarships/grants that were based on merit, not the ones that were solely based on financial need.

Archived