Premed 101 Forums

Ccfp R3 Em

Konkrete

Anybody have any idea what the job prospects look like for EM in BC in the next while/decade? I know its not like an FP, but are there many small/medium sized communities that need emerg docs? I want to live somewhere smaller, but not the boonies. Like 20-40,000.

If I got the EM training and then couldn't choose where I wanted to live because I was scrounging for job offers in Newfoundland/Saskatchewan it would kinda suck. (No offence Nfld or Sask....I'm sure you're really nice places).

Also, do any EM's work in an FP role on the side? Walk in clinics, part of an FP clinic group, part time solo practice etc? I haven't seen it at all. Just wondering if it is just too hard to switch gears or if its financial or if its just that FP's that go into EM do it because they all want to solely do EM and nothing else. I would think there would be some exceptions. I am kind of interested in both facets of medicine. Acute stuff is so exciting to me. Longitudinal care is rewarding to me. Is it doable?

You can look up on locums for your province to see the sort of jobs that are available. As you can imagine, the need for EMs in smaller community hospitals is quite variable.

I've worked with a few FP/EMs. They love what they do and wouldn't have it any other way. What is interesting is that none of them had done their 1 year EM training, I believe they just wrote the exam after doing the minimum number of hours.

In terms of setting of practice, this is variable. I've seen group practices where GPs take turns doing ED, manning the clnics and doing their own interest work (some OBGYN, some anesthetics). But the GP-A were getting knocked out of their role slowly.

EDIT: A lot of smaller to mid size hospitals do not require you to have done the 1 year fellowship.

• 4 weeks later...
You can look up on locums for your province to see the sort of jobs that are available. As you can imagine, the need for EMs in smaller community hospitals is quite variable.

I've worked with a few FP/EMs. They love what they do and wouldn't have it any other way. What is interesting is that none of them had done their 1 year EM training, I believe they just wrote the exam after doing the minimum number of hours.

In terms of setting of practice, this is variable. I've seen group practices where GPs take turns doing ED, manning the clnics and doing their own interest work (some OBGYN, some anesthetics). But the GP-A were getting knocked out of their role slowly.

EDIT: A lot of smaller to mid size hospitals do not require you to have done the 1 year fellowship.

right on man

this is my ideal practice setting. running EDs occasionally, doing clinic, doing some low level anesthesia, some acute medicine

too bad you can't rlly do this in big cities

Archived