Premed 101 Forums

How to prepare for the Verbal Reasoning SEction Early

ban1o

I'm going into first year undergrad and I know that Verbal Reasoning is a weak point for me, so I was wondering if there was anything I could do now t oimprove my verbal reasoning skills early on. I know that they are changing the MCAT drasticaly in 2015, but I believe they are still having a verbal reasoning section.

LOL I read a lot of books, but they're all fiction. I took the SAT because I was interested in applying to US schools and the critical reasoning section which I think is similar to the verbal reasoning section was my lowest score by a lot. I was just wondering if people who had taken the MCAT had any tips of what type of books I should read or something.

Work on your reading speed.

Speed is almost never the problem. Slow reading is usually only an issue for non-native English speakers. People who re-read passages several times or deliberately decrease their pace have difficulties comprehending what they're reading. The loss of time is misinterpreted as reading too slowly.

LOL I read a lot of books, but they're all fiction. I took the SAT because I was interested in applying to US schools and the critical reasoning section which I think is similar to the verbal reasoning section was my lowest score by a lot. I was just wondering if people who had taken the MCAT had any tips of what type of books I should read or something.

Read publications like The Economist. You may wish to consider LSAT materials, however, a mod over at SDN thinks they can actually be harmful.

Read publications like The Economist. You may wish to consider LSAT materials, however, a mod over at SDN thinks they can actually be harmful.

Thank you for your advice. I'll look into reading publications! Haha I don't really know what SDN is. Why did the person say that using lsat materials could be harmful?

I moved from 6 to 14 in VR using Exam crackers. Their advice can be cheesy... but honestly, I found them to be REALLY useful, especially about not practicing at all if you are not going to give 100% of your attention

Wow! That's amazing! I think my friend used the exam crackers book. However, I'm only going to first year so I'm not sure if I should start actually preparing for the mcat now.I just want to improve my reading comprehension ability now because I hear of so many people who take the the mcat and are unable to get their verbal reasoning score up not matter how hard they try. Would you recommend I start using it now?

No of course not :P I just wanted to actively start improving my reading comprehension ability, especially since that section was my lowest score by a lot on the SAT (a standardized test needed to get into American schools). I probably want to take it after second year.

Work on your reading speed. If you can read fast while still understanding it all, you'll be golden.

this is very good advice. although,i might add, read things like the economist, the new yorker, the atlantic, and many articles on humanities, social sciences and etc. like the op said, read fast and understand plus think between the lines and analyze the passages as well. reading lots of pblications will also be helpful and informative!

also, i read on the berkeley review books that some of the pssages for the VR are sometimes from the Scientific American magazine, possibly very old issues ...to give a hint on the type of articles that they use. I havent taken the mcat yet, but i would try and familiarize myself with the articles from the scientific american...

Archived