Premed 101 Forums

What kind of research is this?

Economist

Hello,

I was looking into doing clinical research for the upcoming school year and got to do an interview with a Cardiologist today. He looked at my timetable and told me that I won't have enough time to do clinical research. Instead he proposed I do a project which basically has me analyzing various research papers and to make a correlation with fats/RNA/lipids etc with different cells. We'll meet frequently and when we pool enough data we'll do some statistical analysis.

Has anyone done research like this before? The work can be done from home and it's neither basic science (bench) or clinical research... Does this sound good? I'm confused whether this can be considered as research that could lead to poster presentation or more... Any input will be appreciated!

P.S. The cardiologist is also a professor of medicine at my school and also has 200+ publications. Also I've worked at a couple of basic science labs so I wanted to experience something different + gain network within the faculty.

It's clinical research. The type of study sounds like a Systematic Review and possibly a Meta Analysis (look it up). Not only can it lead to a poster/abstract, it very often leads to a massive journal paper in a high impact journal with relatively minimal work (compared to a RCT or basic science study). This type of work is often used to provide clinical guidelines so is very important. Sounds like you hit tthe jackpot. Congrats.

How do you guys find opportunities like this? It seems like many research jobs require prior experience for what are entry level positions.

Contact a researcher you're interested in working with and tell them that you want to learn more about their work and perhaps get involved with it. Send them a genuine email or ask to drop by their office. You'd perhaps be surprised at how willing they are to hear you out and discuss possible projects.

It really is often just this straightforward.

Contact a researcher you're interested in working with and tell them that you want to learn more about their work and perhaps get involved with it. Send them a genuine email or ask to drop by their office. You'd perhaps be surprised at how willing they are to hear you out and discuss possible projects.

It really is often just this straightforward.

Awesome! Thanks for the response.

Archived