Premed 101 Forums

Writing my first CV post-undergrad... "personal interests" section?

undergrad519

Hi guys...

Trying to land this cool job on a research team in Toronto that I think is right up my alley, and I'm trying to craft the perfect CV that shows me in the best light. I've seen a lot of CVs that have personal interest sections that include hobbies like sports, music, etc and I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on this?

On one hand, it might seem childish and out of place to have things that aren't necessarily relevant to the job at hand on your CV.

On the other hand, can it really hurt to have extra information on there as long as it doesn't extend the CV by one page/clutters it up? And if I were to make it to the interview stage, might the fact that I went to Brazil to visit the slums of Rio de Janeiro and participate in a 4 day Amazon rainforest tour act as some sort of icebreaker? I guess my reasoning for that is that in research, you often spend hours upon hours with everyone that you're working with.. Having some non-work related topic to talk about in the interview might help the interviewer know if I would mesh well with the people I'd be working with?

Thanks for any opinions you guys might share. Honestly don't know what do with this one.

I have a section for this on my CV. Now if your main hobby is watching TV, I might leave that off (though you could bring it up in conversation), but there is nothing childish about including extracurricular achievements (arts, sports, etc.). Just be aware that what you put down may help people see you as a better fit, or it might not (e.g. if you have extensive travel, it might help to know that you worked to fund your trips, as not everyone may have had such opportunities in their lives so far).

Hi guys...

Trying to land this cool job on a research team in Toronto that I think is right up my alley, and I'm trying to craft the perfect CV that shows me in the best light. I've seen a lot of CVs that have personal interest sections that include hobbies like sports, music, etc and I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on this?

On one hand, it might seem childish and out of place to have things that aren't necessarily relevant to the job at hand on your CV.

On the other hand, can it really hurt to have extra information on there as long as it doesn't extend the CV by one page/clutters it up? And if I were to make it to the interview stage, might the fact that I went to Brazil to visit the slums of Rio de Janeiro and participate in a 4 day Amazon rainforest tour act as some sort of icebreaker? I guess my reasoning for that is that in research, you often spend hours upon hours with everyone that you're working with.. Having some non-work related topic to talk about in the interview might help the interviewer know if I would mesh well with the people I'd be working with?

Thanks for any opinions you guys might share. Honestly don't know what do with this one.

I wouldn't put down hobbies on my CV for a research job... it seems a bit unprofessional. I don't think your traveling experience will help you get an interview. At the interview stage, if the occasion arises, you could mention your travels... but even if you put it on your CV I doubt that would be the first thing they ask you about to "break the ice." I would include a section for volunteer and extracurricular (e.g. sports, arts) activities though...

Archived