Premed 101 Forums

Ubc Ot Fall 2014!!

I was wondering if any of you are applying to the UBC OT Program for 2014.

Would be awesome if you could share GPA and work experience/ volunteer experience and anything to prepare for the application.

Also, does anyone know if they look at the cumGPA at all? or is it just 3000-4000 level courses?

The reason I ask is because I have a 3.00 CumGPA and a 3.71 CumGPA... is there even a chance to get in? Overall I have over 2000 hours work experience with clients with both physical mental and emotional disabilities.

Thanks!

I think I will add UBC OT into my applications this year as well - might as well apply everywhere I can, go big or go home right? From my research and what I have heard they only look at 3000/4000 level courses. But your experience is really good, if you make it to the interview process you will shine. With just my third and fourth year courses I will have a 3.77subgpa (I think), but I only have about 250 volunteer hours with individuals with disabilities. Good luck :)

I have a 3.95 CUMgpa and I had tons of hours of volunteer work experience with people with disabilities. I also scored well on my interview but I still got put on the waiting list. I am sitting at number 3 for this year but there is little chance there will be more movement. My assumption is that there were those who had all my credentials, did well on the interview but simply had very high gpas. Of course this is my own subjective view...good luck and make sure to apply at other universities as UBC is small and very competitive :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm applying to UBC this year and it's one of my first choices since i'm a BC resident, but i'm concerned about my volunteer experience since i have only ~100 hours of direct experience with individuals with disabilities. I have lots of what i would consider relevant experience like sitting on my university's health advisory committee, shadowing an occupational therapist, and working with at-risk children in inner city programs providing emotional and psychosocial support... although with no diagnoses i assume that doesn't count. What do you guys think? I'm trying to talk up my other experiences in my statement of intent but do you think i need more direct experience?

my subgpa is 3.76 and i'm finishing up my bsc in a related field.

• 2 months later...
I'm applying to UBC this year and it's one of my first choices since i'm a BC resident, but i'm concerned about my volunteer experience since i have only ~100 hours of direct experience with individuals with disabilities. I have lots of what i would consider relevant experience like sitting on my university's health advisory committee, shadowing an occupational therapist, and working with at-risk children in inner city programs providing emotional and psychosocial support... although with no diagnoses i assume that doesn't count. What do you guys think? I'm trying to talk up my other experiences in my statement of intent but do you think i need more direct experience?

my subgpa is 3.76 and i'm finishing up my bsc in a related field.

I hope you considered applying. There are so many of us who doubt our academic competencies and the number of ours we worked/volunteered. I think all of us want to hear the same thing: any experience is great experience, any grade is great, and that is enough. The main thing I've learned over the years is that we all want validation, and let's face it, if you never apply with what you already have, how do you know if you're not going to get in? Most people here have enough to get in, but it's really up to you to make yourself shine. Others on this forum may not agree with my point of view but I think positivity is always key. There's nothing bad about working hard for what you want.

Archived