Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters

I need some advice about the reference letters. The admissions site says "It is advisable you choose referees that have known you for a minimum of two years."

Can someone with experience please share how strict this guideline is? Does it harm you if you choose someone who has known you for less than two years?

Also, is there a requirement for academic references like in OMSAS? Or can you choose any referees that you like?

I know it is too early to be worrying about this, but I am just trying to sort out this whole process ahead of time. Any advice would be appreciated.

I used a reference that was less than 2 years. It was a supervisor for a place I volunteered at, and she wrote a very strong reference letter. I never received actual info from the faculty about this guideline though, I just went ahead and used the supervisor as a referee.

I used a reference that was less than 2 years. It was a supervisor for a place I volunteered at, and she wrote a very strong reference letter. I never received actual info from the faculty about this guideline though, I just went ahead and used the supervisor as a referee.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Also will the reference writers only be contacted for a letter if you get an interview, in March? Or do they also need to meet the September deadline?

It says they will only be contacted if you are invited to interview. So some time in early January. On the application, you only need to give the contact information so you cannot change them if you are invited.

Archived