Premed 101 Forums

Shadowing (I know, I know, there is a sticky)

Hello

Just had a quick question as I'm filling in my OMSAS app. I had a few opportunities over the past month to shadow a few different types of docs, however, each shadow was only done over 1-2 days. Don't get me wrong, I learned TONS and I gained new perspectives/additional motivation for applying to medical school all... but I was reading some posts and they were saying that it may not worth putting short shadows on my ABS?

I worked really hard to even get the chance to shadow them and I fully understand why they wouldn't want to have someone following them around for weeks on end, so I thought a day or two would suffice... now I'm just not too sure.

Just wanted to get some opinions on the matter. Thanks!

Hello

Just had a quick question as I'm filling in my OMSAS app. I had a few opportunities over the past month to shadow a few different types of docs, however, each shadow was only done over 1-2 days. Don't get me wrong, I learned TONS and I gained new perspectives/additional motivation for applying to medical school all... but I was reading some posts and they were saying that it may not worth putting short shadows on my ABS?

I worked really hard to even get the chance to shadow them and I fully understand why they wouldn't want to have someone following them around for weeks on end, so I thought a day or two would suffice... now I'm just not too sure.

It is definitely worth putting them in your application. I will leave it to others to suggest how to present them.

Hello

It's definitely worthy of being put on your ABS - it shows you tried to get a sense of what the profession is about. Many docs only allow a day or two of shadowing anyway. You can call it an "Observership" on your ABS. :)

Archived