Premed 101 Forums

Letters of Reference

Hi all, quick Q here about getting LOR and applying to multiple programs.

If I asked Dr. X for a reference and want to use the same letter to the 10 or so programs I'll be applying....do we need to send in 10 signed letters with their respective cover sheet to carms? Or can we just send in one to Carms and do they distribute the same letter to the different programs?

Hopefully the latter is the case...but I just want to be sure. Thanks!

Oh also, does anyone know what date the electronic letters of reference are available? I know the "early references" are sent in by Sept 4 but thats it.

No, Dr. X submits one letter by email or electronically. It then appears on your online application as a document, and once you've submitted program applications, you can assign whatever document you want to each program.

Electronic letters of reference will be available once you can access the AWS on the CaRMS website.

Thanks for the help! That saves me a lot of trouble....

You also probably know the answer to this but do you know if we need to send in notarized copies of our past publications and degrees? I have a bachelors and masters and had some papers published in journals....I don't have to send in notarized copies of these do I? (I'd MUCH rather just include all this info in a cover letter seeing my notary charges $50 per document and right now I'm extremely poor).

Thanks for the help! That saves me a lot of trouble....

You also probably know the answer to this but do you know if we need to send in notarized copies of our past publications and degrees? I have a bachelors and masters and had some papers published in journals....I don't have to send in notarized copies of these do I? (I'd MUCH rather just include all this info in a cover letter seeing my notary charges $50 per document and right now I'm extremely poor).

Get a new notary. If your school has a law school, try contacting them.

I don't think you need to get any of those things notarized for CaRMS. Certainly not publications, and I think degrees just get typed by you into the CV section.

Thanks A-Stark and Boyinbubble, you guys rock!

justletmein, yes I read through carms and under "Extra documents" it talks about sending in notarized copy of these extra documents (which include publications) to CaRMS and that each program has their own notarization requirements. It also mentions that the first five pages of your publications will be scanned to your application....sounds like some schools request you to send in copies of your work to CARMS instead of just listing it on your CV. Am I missing something here?

Archived