Premed 101 Forums

Which MCAT Prep Course is best?

Joker_J

I found TPR to be good with respect to the extensiveness of the material but their questions sucked. I thought I was gonna end up with a freaking 1 in physics. Not representative of what you'll see it on AAMC practice tests.

Also, their in-class exercises are so much easier than what you have to do on your own, maybe to give you that "see, our classes are useful" feeling lol

And lol@their verbal reasoning strategy.

EK questions were great. Helped me a lot. I don't have any experience with other prep companies.

I did TPR this past summer and it was a great review for BS and PS. Their VR strategy is... well, you can probably learn it on your own if you wanted to. I ended up doing a hybrid TPR/EK strategy and it worked well. Just find what works for you on VR (FAR IN ADVANCE) and practice that.

I can't vouch for any other prep courses. TPR's questions were certainly more difficult than the real test.

I did TPR this past summer and it was a great review for BS and PS. Their VR strategy is... well, you can probably learn it on your own if you wanted to. I ended up doing a hybrid TPR/EK strategy and it worked well. Just find what works for you on VR (FAR IN ADVANCE) and practice that.

I can't vouch for any other prep courses. TPR's questions were certainly more difficult than the real test.

Had exactly the same experience. I think the VR strategy is a little too structured, as weird as that sound. They seem to offer this strategy that has so many steps that you forget to even think about what you're supposed to be reading and understanding. Conversely, I thought EK was too willy-nilly to be comfortable with. The PS and BS instruction were fantastic; started out getting 5-7 in physics, was getting 12-13 by the end of the course.

Kaplan apparently overinflates the marks on their practice tests and their VR is very representative of the real MCAT. Princeton on the other hand makes their tests more difficult with the idea that if you can handle their tests, the AAMC tests will be more straightforward for you.

I can only speak for TPR, but I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for solid prep!

Archived