Premed 101 Forums

Abstracts and publications?

dr.seuss

Hi,

I co-authored an abstract that's currently under review by the American Society of Hematology. I'm pretty sure it will get published in their peer reviewed journal - as it is being submitted by a well known hospital (vs. simply an undergraduate student hoping to present at a conference).

How should I go about submitting this in my ABS? I will not personally be at the conference, however.

Are abstracts still useful? I've been getting mixed answers. The only reason why it didn't become a paper was its lack of data from a clinical population....

THANKS!

Sorry, I don't have an answer, but I have a question that you may be able to answer.

What counts as a published abstract? I've presented a poster at an international and national conference and both the abstracts are available online. Do these count as both poster presentations AND published abstracts?

And what about more local/institutional conferences? I've given talks at a couple university level conferences, but the abstracts aren't available online (apart from the conference programs where they had everyone's abstracts printed out). Do these ones only count as oral presentations and not published abstracts?

Sorry, I don't have an answer, but I have a question that you may be able to answer.

What counts as a published abstract? I've presented a poster at an international and national conference and both the abstracts are available online. Do these count as both poster presentations AND published abstracts?

And what about more local/institutional conferences? I've given talks at a couple university level conferences, but the abstracts aren't available online (apart from the conference programs where they had everyone's abstracts printed out). Do these ones only count as oral presentations and not published abstracts?

I think anything that is published in the conference booklet is considered "published abstract".

OP, in your case, it's only submitted for the conference; it hasn't even been accepted yet, so I don't think you can put it on your app unless it gets accepted in time.

• 2 weeks later...

An abstract 'published' in the conference booklet is not a published abstract. Abstracts for conferences are pretty well always available online or in a booklet given out at the conference.

Some conferences are hosted by societies that published their own journal. If the abstract was truly published (i.e. included in an issue of a journal with an actual citation) then perhaps. But even that seems to be stretching it a bit and definitely isn't the same as an honest to goodness published article. I would just list them as poster presentations.

If the abstract has not been accepted, there is still a chance that it won't be so I would not include it. Perhaps it could be mentioned under a research activity that an abstract was submitted as a result of the work.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that saying "contributed to work leading to a published meeting abstract" might be appropriate if it has been confirmed that the abstract will be published in the conference booklet. Any sciency person reading this should have a clear understanding what this means.

An abstract such as this wouldn't stand on its own, but would increase the "quality" of the research activity that it is presented in.

Archived