Premed 101 Forums

Courses in McMaster that can help with VR

sprite

Hey guys, I just finished my first attempt at my mcat and got dusted with a 10 (ps) / 8 (vr) / 10 (bs).

I'm currently in mac 3rd year and was wondering if any mac alumni or any mac student could recommend a course that can help me somehow to improve with my vr score.

I'm thinking of some kind of philosophy/ humanities course!

Thanks alot

you can improve Vr without a course. Read the Economist, NY Times, NY Times book reviews, and a philosophy magazine if you can find bearable enough to read. All of this helped me immensely and made me more knowledgeable as well.

You'll hear time and time again that the VR section is one that rewards strong readers and I tend to agree with this. Being an avid reader in elementary school is the only reason I was half-way decent at this thing going in and those who read in highschool or pursued undergraduate courses of study that had them reading a lot definitely benefitted more than I did from what I've observed from those around me.

All is not lost though, like Nito said, you can improve VR without a course. But I think above all this'll require diligent practice reading articles such as those in the Economist and The Atlantic etc., as well as things that are occasionally too difficult for one to really understand on the first go, like the work of Henry David Thoreau or Homi Bhabha.

If you're super desperate to take a course at Mac, try the English shorter and longer genres courses. I've found that their unwillingness to separate english lit from english comp tends to force students to read more analytically. If you don't think you can take those without compromising your GPA, I'd recommend Humanities 2C03: Critical Thinking taught by Hitchcock or Peace Studies 1A03 by Doubleday. I found them to be easy 12s and the techniques I learned in them were very applicable to studying for the MCAT.

Best of luck to ya!

Archived