Premed 101 Forums

Albert Einstein What Do I put for VISA Type?

farmin

In the Albert Einstein College of Medicine secondary it says I need to put citizenship status and it gives me the options:

U.S. Permanent Resident

International Student (Passport Scan Required)

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (Passport Scan Required)

Well I'm pretty sure I count as International Student since I'm Canadian. But then it asks me for Visa Type (and it's just fill in the blanks no choices). So I don't have a Visa right now what do I do? I thought people get J1 and H1B after they finish medical school? They even require me to scan my passport for me to proceed to the next step of the application.

So.... what do I do??

• 3 weeks later...
On the basis that Canadians don't require a visa to study in USA, your passport will indicate to them that no visa is required.

You need to fact check your posts. You need a F1 visa to study in the US. After you graduate you can go on an OPT visa for up to a year before transitioning to either an H1B or J1 if you are doing residency in the US.

You need to fact check your posts. You need a F1 visa to study in the US. After you graduate you can go on an OPT visa for up to a year before transitioning to either an H1B or J1 if you are doing residency in the US.

According to the Canadian Embassy in the US Canadians only need an I-20:

http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/visas/student-and-exchange-visas.html

Is there something I am missing?

Did some more digging and it seems that we get F1 status upon entry (we do not need an entry visa but we eventually need an F1).

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/isso/visa/F-1/F-1_canada.html

Archived